Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there must be a lot of threads about this but I can't find any that are all that relevant.

I posted another thread asking about applying for halls at this stage in the year, but I have a few more questions. First of all, is it stupid to pay so much rent when I can stay at home just paying travelling expenses? And will I have any problems (with flatmates etc) if I do move in this late in the year, or is it quite common? Will I be placed in the worst accommodation or is it just luck?

Basically what I'm asking is, is it worth trying to move into halls at this stage or should I wait till second year and try to get a flat?

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak from someone else's experience and they got put in the best accomodation my uni has...not saying of course that would happen to you. I personally would stay at home if it's ok for you to do so just for the saving money factor(it's almost doublt the price for me to stay at uni than to live at home and travel which is amongst other reasons why I am staying at home.) As for problems with flatmates well it maybe awkward at first but it's always going to be,and to be honest it depends on the people really.

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no.

For first years it's a great way to make new friends easily if you're the social type.

You don't need to worry about gas, electricity or surprise bills because it's all included. So that's a bonus.

..but in your situation, you have the option to stay at home. This will save you a lot of money and unnecessary stress. (Some people, such as me, don't like the immaturity of most of the newcomers (not saying all are the same) and all they want to do is party, drink and blast their music)

If you want a unique experience to uni life then first year in halls is a good idea.

Some people in my class have never stayed at halls, stay with their families, and now we're in our 3rd year.

It's down to you in the end and what you want for your time in Uni. =]

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. It's mainly the money thing that puts me off. It seems like such a waste when I can live here for nothing.

I'm already in first year, started uni about 7 weeks ago so I know what it's like to be living at home. Not all that great. Travelling takes up so much of my time, it can take up to an hour and a half each way, so I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time. And it costs quite a lot, well over £500 a year. Living in halls would be a lot more than that, like over a thousand more, but it might be worth it.

I don't like being at home, my parents don't give me any freedom and I don't have much of a social life (turning into a H&R problem now...) so I just feel like I need a change. I know that halls can be noisy, and people can be annoying but I'm willing to put up with it. Think I've talked myself into it haha, I just hope there are spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy living in halls - even if I did live locally to my uni, I'd still want to live in halls.

As for where you'll be placed, it really depends upon where people who have dropped out were living, or wherever they have spaces for other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think living in halls is a crucial part of the uni "experience"...obviously if you live 20 mins away from the uni then it's pointless but if your journey is an hour and a half each way, I'd just live in halls. You'll meet so many people, and it's fun being independant

ReputationRep:
    For reasons mentioned above, I'd recommend getting some comfortable, heavy duty earplugs - mine are a complete life saver. Not just for sleep, but for when trying to study or just to relax and read a book.

If you're not enjoying living at home, then your obvious option is to move into halls. Particularly if you think you're missing out on a social life and part of the university experience. Just be ready for a culture shock!

ReputationRep:
    Turns out they don't have anything suitable at the moment but I'll keep trying. Fingers crossed something comes up soon, you've all sort of convinced me it'd be for the best. Thanks everyone

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.