The Student Room Group

Cyber Security Degree Pathway

Im going into my last year at secondary and am starting to look at the higher education pathway going into a-levels and uni.
Im looking to go into Cyber Security, and was looking at the NCSC's certified courses.

I was wondering whether it would be better to do a BSc and a post-graduate Masters or an integrated Msci. Which one can you go into straight after a-level and would I have to do a Bsc to be able to do an integrated Msci? I understand that integrated courses look better since you have more experience in the field, but which would be better if i wished to become more qualified.
(edited 1 year ago)
I would look at doing Cyber Essentials (NCSC course) or CompTIA A+ (basic overview into ICT).
If that's out of your budget, or you don't like exams, then maybe the hands-on experience would be best.
If it helps, I did a BSc (Hons) in ICT, which helped me get into the field of cyber security, although it was a tough road.
Most companies ask for a few year's of experience, but fail to provide the training needed to upskill.

Have a look at cyber security courses (free) on UDemy or Coursera, spruce up your LinkedIn page, connect with cyber security folk for their advice, and look at their jobs (what they are working on + what they worked on in the past) to get an idea of what you need to do to be at their level of expertise.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
[Im going into my last year at secondary and am starting to look at the higher education pathway going into a-levels and uni.]
Congratulations :-)

[Which one can you go into straight after a-level ]
MSCi or Bsc. if you don't have the knowledge or grades then a foundation course WILL be a requirement, its best to speak with the University of your choice.

[and would I have to do a Bsc to be able to do an integrated Msci? ]
No, but if you have different subject areas that don't support your course choice then that decision may not be your's it might be the course provider

Degrees do matter but not to GET into I.T - I've had 35 years in I.T and worked for IBM for 8 as a software engineer (SQL is needed BTW) and I don't have a degree, the field changes so fast that the certifications matter more when it comes to 'experience' and luckily if you have a nhs, or schools or Uni email you'll have access to the certification courses and exam for free or close to half price.

Source: Experiece and I'm former faculty admin of 2 Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest