Leaving home

Watch this thread
TizzaBoi
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Where do people go when they leave home for Uni? How do they afford student accommodation?
Durham Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TizzaBoi)
Where do people go when they leave home for Uni? How do they afford student accommodation?
Hiya

Most students in their first year live in university residence halls (or colleges as we call them at Durham University). Usually, all unis provide guaranteed accommodation to freshers so you don't have to look outside. However private accommodation tends to be cheaper and you always have the option to live out even in your first year.

For financial assistance, I would recommend looking at the scholarships available at the university of your choice. There are also several external scholarships at Durham which you can find here. These could be either dedicated towards tuition fees or living costs or both. You can also look into student finance, particularly maintenance loan, which is geared towards living costs.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi TizzaBoi most people going to university live in student halls (if they are moving out of home). You will be able to see available student accommodations on your university accommodation website, and you can sort through these via price.

People can afford these through student finance. If you won't be receiving any financial support from your parents then apply for the full amount on student finance. This fluctuates year to year but should be between £8,500 and £11,000 allocated to you as a 'maintenance loan'.

Some people also get part time jobs while at university. You can also find casual jobs with your university, such as helping with open days

- Rosie
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi TizzaBoi
Most will move in student halls or accommodation provided by the university. Students afford this through their student loan maintenance loan and often people will take on part time jobs to get extra income.

All the best
Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some students move into private houseshares with other students, professionals or a mix of the two.
Others move into studios or shared flats within students only complexes.
Some continue living with parents or partners as they did before uni.

Students cover their rental accomodation costs in many different ways.
Allowance from relatives, inheritances, earnings from part time employment and personal savings.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Usually halls these are often owned by the university and the rent covers everything thats rent bills interns access and staffing like cleaners the cleaners will clean common areas but will not pick up after you any thing left out is usually put in a box and you have like 24 hours to retrieve it. they rant supposed to touch anything in a drying rack but they do i found my clan drying bowl in these boxes so many times despite the fact i actually told the cleaners my bowl spoon etc. is drying please don't put it in the box as I went to my lectures in the morning.

Then there are private halls they often are a bit larger but you might've to pay utilities on a meter but that really does depend on the company.

There are also University owned houses this is very much like the halls but there are no cleaners and again you might need to pay a few bills.

The private sector is another option mostly second and third years do this with their mates it's a little cheaper than halls but then there you need to surtout internet between each other and you also need to pay bills you're except from rates as a student but you'll need to get a note from the university and give it to the town hall otherwise you might have to go to court i nearly did but i got the note to them before the court date and every thing stopped.
LittleBear04
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Most students stay at University owned 'halls' in first year, pretty much all Uni's guarantee space for entrants who are awarded offers. These differ on both location and price, and inclusive of all bills from internet to electricity, however you are required to pay for washing machine access. Halls are typically more per week than private accommodation (providers Unite) have residences in many cities, price depends on both location and room type. In second year onwards students either move to private accommodation or have a house/flat share with friends.

Students can apply for support from SFE or SAAS in Scotland, the amount depends on a variety of factors. Some get money from parents, part-time employment or use personal savings built up. I hope this answers your questions.
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

Most people live in student accommodation when they move to uni. Accommodation may be on or off campus depending on the uni or dotted around the area of the uni! There are lots of different types of accommodation and they often vary slightly in price.

Most people apply for student finance which involves a tuition loan which is for university fees and a maintenance loans which helps with things such as rent, bills and food. This would help fund the cost of accommodation. I've attached a link which explains how you can apply for student finance which may be useful! https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance

I
hope this helps!
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Student Ambassador
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

In my first year, I stayed at University accommodation so that I could make friends with the people at uni. I really enjoyed it, and the halls were really clean! I had student Finance, which helped cover my accommodation. I also had a casual part-time job which helped with my weekly shops and nights out. In my second & third year, I lived in a house with my friends. There's a range of houses in Liverpool all at different prices, so we found the one that suited us and then went from there. Again, I had student finance to help me out, but then I also had to get a more structured part-time job (10 hours), which helped me out with my finances.

I hope that's helpful! If you're looking for money saving tips; I'd definitely meal prep!

Ana - UoL Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.15%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (55)
55.56%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.04%

Watched Threads