theartyard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Shortly after birth fetal haemoglobin is broken down and replaced by adult haemoglobin. Why is fetal haemoglobin unsuitable for use after birth?

thanks in advance.
hafnium
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Disesase (hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin) has few symptons. I guess the main problem is for mothers.

It will be harder for their babies to get oxygen through placenta since Oxygen affinity of both fetus and mother haemoglobin is the same.
theartyard
Rep:
?
(Original post by hafnium)
The Disesase (hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin) has few symptons. I guess the main problem is for mothers.

It will be harder for their babies to get oxygen through placenta since Oxygen affinity of both fetus and mother haemoglobin is the same.
oh right, so its like a long term problem in the future?
hafnium
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I checked several sources and they all said the usually the disease has no symptons at all...

The mother-fetus problem is the only one problem that I can think of...
so yes, long term problem..
theartyard
Rep:
?
I checked several sources and they all said the usually the disease has no symptons at all...

The mother-fetus problem is the only one problem that I can think of...
so yes, long term problem..
okiedokes thanks very much !! x
alispam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
?? You mean when the baby eventually became a mother O2 transfer through the placenta wouldnt be efficient?? Im not sure thats the answer they're looking for...The affinity for oxygen is different for fetal and adult haemoglobin due to the differing subunit composition (one has a betal and one a gamma subunit, cant remember which way round it is). Hence oxygen can be passed from the mother's haemoglobin to the foetus as the fetal Hb has a higher affinity than the normal Hb.

If the fetal Hb was nor replaced after birth the child would have Hb with a higher than normal affinity for oxygen. This would cause problems with supply of O2 to cells as oxygen would transfer from the haem to the cell much slower due to a higher binding affinity to Hb. Hence they would have a poor supply of O2 to cells, leading to probs with respiration rates etc.
HannahUVM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by alispam)
If the fetal Hb was nor replaced after birth the child would have Hb with a higher than normal affinity for oxygen. This would cause problems with supply of O2 to cells as oxygen would transfer from the haem to the cell much slower due to a higher binding affinity to Hb. Hence they would have a poor supply of O2 to cells, leading to probs with respiration rates etc.
^^ this is correct.
the oxygen dissociation curve is shifted to the left for fetal haemoglobin. at low concentrations of oxygen it will release less than adult haemoglobin will.
fetal Hb has gamma chains not beta chains.
hafnium
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think they are right
the effect of having fetal haemoglobin isnt that great but i think that was what the markers were looking for

really sorry...
Mimicares
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks that was helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.74%
Labour (319)
42.7%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.35%
Green Party (41)
5.49%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)