Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Shortly after birth fetal haemoglobin is broken down and replaced by adult haemoglobin. Why is fetal haemoglobin unsuitable for use after birth?

thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    The Disesase (hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin) has few symptons. I guess the main problem is for mothers.

It will be harder for their babies to get oxygen through placenta since Oxygen affinity of both fetus and mother haemoglobin is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafnium)
    The Disesase (hereditary persistence of fetal hemoglobin) has few symptons. I guess the main problem is for mothers.

It will be harder for their babies to get oxygen through placenta since Oxygen affinity of both fetus and mother haemoglobin is the same.
    oh right, so its like a long term problem in the future?

ReputationRep:
    I checked several sources and they all said the usually the disease has no symptons at all...

The mother-fetus problem is the only one problem that I can think of...
    so yes, long term problem..

ReputationRep:
    I checked several sources and they all said the usually the disease has no symptons at all...

The mother-fetus problem is the only one problem that I can think of...
    so yes, long term problem..
    okiedokes thanks very much !! x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ?? You mean when the baby eventually became a mother O2 transfer through the placenta wouldnt be efficient?? Im not sure thats the answer they're looking for...The affinity for oxygen is different for fetal and adult haemoglobin due to the differing subunit composition (one has a betal and one a gamma subunit, cant remember which way round it is). Hence oxygen can be passed from the mother's haemoglobin to the foetus as the fetal Hb has a higher affinity than the normal Hb.

If the fetal Hb was nor replaced after birth the child would have Hb with a higher than normal affinity for oxygen. This would cause problems with supply of O2 to cells as oxygen would transfer from the haem to the cell much slower due to a higher binding affinity to Hb. Hence they would have a poor supply of O2 to cells, leading to probs with respiration rates etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    If the fetal Hb was nor replaced after birth the child would have Hb with a higher than normal affinity for oxygen. This would cause problems with supply of O2 to cells as oxygen would transfer from the haem to the cell much slower due to a higher binding affinity to Hb. Hence they would have a poor supply of O2 to cells, leading to probs with respiration rates etc.
    ^^ this is correct.
    the oxygen dissociation curve is shifted to the left for fetal haemoglobin. at low concentrations of oxygen it will release less than adult haemoglobin will.
    fetal Hb has gamma chains not beta chains.

ReputationRep:
    i think they are right
    the effect of having fetal haemoglobin isnt that great but i think that was what the markers were looking for

really sorry...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.