Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    In an undesirable manner. Students should be differentiated by their ability to handle advanced material, lowering the boundaries on easy questions just rewards exam technique instead.

But if you make an exam hard under the current system, the grade boundaries will just shoot way down, maintaining the grade inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this what the UMS points system does?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my English teacher keeps going on about grade inflation, saying how he did Chaucer and Venn diagrams in Year 11 etc. Tbf he's right. I did an A level two years early because I found the standards so ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack-b)
    Isn't this what the UMS points system does?

Well, the problem is, the UMS system makes fairly low marks into very high grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    did you not read down the thread? you have a table, like you get with wines. people know what the good years were and the bad years were, and if they can't remember, there are tables on line with scores by area in france. its really not that hard to work out, and it is much better than what is happening at the moment, people working hard for a paper which employers view as worthless.

you decide what you'd prefer. its your future.
    infact on further remembering they already do this??
    the pass mark for an A is different for each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntensityIntegrityIntell)
    The year before is irrelevant. You are competing with your current year group. The year before took a different exam. Everybody who took the exam had different levels of strength in their subject.
    yes but say the first person took a year out and then applied to uni, they would have a huge advantage/disadvantage (sorry cant remember which way round example grades were) over the people in the year below

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    2 words: International Baccalaureate.
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    you're just made everyone's smarter then you; revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntensityIntegrityIntell)
    Well many universities who used to make CCC offers are now offering AAB/AAA. This change has occured within the last 10 years. (Labour government anyone?)

Well i propose a change to A level exams.

The mark a pupil receives will be in relation to everybody who sat the exam. Instead of answering 80% of the paper correctly and obtaining an A grade, grades shall be earnt by directly competing with everybody who took the exam.

the top 10% of pupils who sat the exam receive an A. then top 20% B. Top 30% C etc.

We would not see grade inflation like today at all.

Of course, this goes against New Labour's doctrine of everybody's a winner, but i believe in change!
    It really depends what you want out of your exam system. Do you want something like a driving test, where you pass once you reach a certain level of attainment or do you want a system that allows you to rank people? I think we want the second, in which case your ideas do make some sense. But I can see why some people might want the former. A-levels are, theoretically, moderated- that's why you get a UMS mark rather than the raw mark.

I agree though with whoever said abolish modular papers. They distort everything so much- someone who gets a B first go is deemed worse than someone who got an A resitting everything three times.

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't believe in grade inflation, I chatted to my dentist this week (if you can call it that with a mirror in your mouth) about this. When he entered university in the early 1970s he needed CCC to get into university to study dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    because thats fair.

say one year one person gets 80% on an exam and gets a A because he's in the top 10%, an equally clever person gets the same grade a year later but because everyone else did alot better he gets a C.

your idea is stupid, did you really think it through?

p.s. im glad your not a politician.
    People don't get cleverer or stupider year on year. Not with such a large sample. If one year, on average does better than a previous one, it's because the paper was easier or the teaching has improved. Not because the year is cleverer.

ReputationRep:
    The reasons seem pretty simple. There are more people doing less academically demanding subjects. Coupled with the way that you can do the same exam about 3 times and take the best mark, means it is unsurprising that people are getting better grades.

ReputationRep:
    They use that system here in Northern Ireland for the 11+ to transfer into secondary schools, there abolishing it this year supposedly. Its fair but harsh only letting a certain % get each grade

Taking separate modules is better than doing 1 exam at the end of the year, but I don't think you should be allowed to repeat a module without repeating the year.

ReputationRep:
    i must say... am finding this very very interesting... i do agree, something must be done, wheather its making exams harder, or changing the way exams are graded as has been mentioned, i do not have enough information to comment on... but... one thing i will vouch for, is courses are far to spoon feed....

...education should encourage independant thought, not just be about memorising methods, facts and ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Someone may of already mentioned this problem: maths, and sciences aswell to a lesser degree. For starters less people do them, and secondly those that do are generally good at them. Further maths in particular is a brilliant example, where more students gain As than in regular maths. This makes science A levels even harder, and increases the bridge further between arts & science subjects.

Thats not a good thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.