The Student Room Group

Leaving student accommodation early?

So I'll be going to a university in my home city this September and I want to stay at an accommodation to embrace a 'away from home' student life. However I'm also conscious about the cost so I've decided to only stay there for around two months or so. Is this possible? Or, if I get an accommodation, am I required to stay there for the rest of the year.
Original post by BeyondBirthday
So I'll be going to a university in my home city this September and I want to stay at an accommodation to embrace a 'away from home' student life. However I'm also conscious about the cost so I've decided to only stay there for around two months or so. Is this possible? Or, if I get an accommodation, am I required to stay there for the rest of the year.

You will be liable for rent during the entire period unless you manage to find a replacement tenant.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
You will be liable for rent during the entire period unless you manage to find a replacement tenant.

oh I see :/

Hi @BeyondBirthday [br] [br] If you choose to live in accommodation you will be required to sign a contract. This is legally binding, and most student accommodations cover the entire term (around 48 weeks). Therefore, you would be required to pay the rent of your accommodation unless there is a clause stating you can be released early should you find someone to take over your contract. I would recommend thinking through your preferences as to whether you want to sign a contract and hope somebody later on takes your place or whether it is best to not sign the contract at all. If you don't live in student accommodation, you could always stay with your friends who do, or if you do decide to move into student accommodation you might find you enjoy living there and stay for the remainder of the contract. You could always live in student accommodation in your first year and live at home during your second and third year if you would like, two friends of mine did that for our undergrad. I would recommend thinking about what would be the best fit for you, and perhaps talking it through with the people you currently live with about your best options if possible.

I hope this helps, best of luck :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)

Hi there,

My name is El!
Unfortunately, most Universities do make you pay for the whole year unless you can find someone to replace your spot. I would suggest though seeing if you could do half a year as I know at some Uni's it's optional to do half a year in accommodation depending on what you're going to do after those 6 months- such as placement.

But apart from that, I do believe you will have to pay no matter what unless you can get special permission from the agencies that handle student living but usually the rules apply to everyone and are very hard to bend.

I would suggest though looking at maybe shared housing outside all the University's agencies and see if there's a room you can rent for a couple months with students who couldn't or didn't want a spot in the proper student accommodation. My friend did this first year and jumped around from different houses to experiment and see what she liked. This may be cheaper too as you will only need to rent a room out and pay your part of the bills.

I hope this helps!
El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending