The Student Room Group

a level subject choices - rs, english lang, or economics

so im in year 11 and (thankfully) very close to finishing my gcses.
im starting with 4 a levels because i like a lot of the courses, but its quite possible ill drop down to 3 at some point. at the moment im taking history, politics, french, and english language next year but im thinking i should swap english lang to either rs or economics (they all fit in the option blocks). heres my reasonings for each:

eng lang:
+ i find linguistics interesting
+ would maybe link well with french?
- the english department at my school is a mixed bag...

rs:
+ i really love philosophy and this is the closest (id definitely take philosophy a level if it was offered at my school)
+ one of the rs teachers is amazing, i love her so much
- the other one (the one i had for gcse) is less good and barely covered gcse content in 3 years so idk if id trust her to do a level
- less interested in the religion side of it (ie the religious parts of the gcse themes paper but i dont mind religious philosophy? idk if that makes sense)

economics:
+ would link to politics very closely
+ dont want to rule out the option of PPE (although atm im not leaning towards it)
- i dont know much about the course so if it doesnt leave room for left wing economic theory then idk if id enjoy it
- economics + politics boys...

if anyone can give advice to what i should take or tell me their experiences, that would be really helpful. thanks! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I take French and trust me A level English lit has nothing to do with it the farthest in that manner u will need is GCSE
French is really hard if ur shy as well-I do it but I hate talking
(edited 1 year ago)
Making 6th Form Choices - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Think carefully about what you want to do with these A levels.
RS has philosophy, ethics and theology, plus it's interesting, but I do the OCR exam board and the exam structure is dreadful, but it is an interesting subject and you might not have the OCR exam board
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by teddybear4444h
I take French and trust me A level English lit has nothing to do with it the farthest in that manner u will need is GCSE
French is really hard if ur shy as well-I do it but I hate talking

im not considering english lit.. i was saying lang will link nicely just cause they are both language + linguisticsy but i know that actual content will be very different. i do gcse french and am predicted a 9 (probably wont get one tho) but yeah, speaking is the bit i like least cause im quiet. hopefully i can be more confident next year though
Original post by edjc123
im not considering english lit.. i was saying lang will link nicely just cause they are both language + linguisticsy but i know that actual content will be very different. i do gcse french and am predicted a 9 (probably wont get one tho) but yeah, speaking is the bit i like least cause im quiet. hopefully i can be more confident next year though

Sorry I meant language
U read one book and that’s it-the rest is very similar to the style of GCSE French just harder
If u do take French u have to do an IPR-u have to research a subject of ur liking-do a presentation on it with no notes, PowerPoint etc then have a discussion about it as well as a speaking card that u will choose between 2
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Making 6th Form Choices - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Think carefully about what you want to do with these A levels.

i want to be a history + politics teacher or academic so any of them would work
Reply 7
Original post by teddybear4444h
Sorry I meant language
U read one book and that’s it-the rest is very similar to the style of GCSE French just harder
If u do take French u have to do an IPR-u have to research a subject of ur liking-do a presentation on it with no notes, PowerPoint etc then have a discussion about it as well as a speaking card that u will choose between 2

thanks, im certain that i want to do french. the gcse speaking was better than i expected and my teacher is really nice so ill be comfortable doing the a level speaking exam with her too i think. the main issue with speaking at gcse was that i just always felt awkward in class but it will be a smaller class size for a level so that should help :smile:

(also ngl doing the research for the presentation sounds like the sort of thing i like lol)
Reply 8
Original post by s.Ellie
RS has philosophy, ethics and theology, plus it's interesting, but I do the OCR exam board and the exam structure is dreadful, but it is an interesting subject and you might not have the OCR exam board

i think my school does eduqas. are the philosophy and ethics sections always in relation to religion or are they their own independent topics with little religion involved?
Original post by edjc123
i think my school does eduqas. are the philosophy and ethics sections always in relation to religion or are they their own independent topics with little religion involved?

Mostly involved with religion but not always.

Some examples of philosophy are, questions on soul, mind and body, ancient philosophical influences, religious experience, problem of evil, religious language etc

Some ethics examples are, all the normative ethical theories (Kant, Aquinas etc) which can applied to religion or non religious things such as euthanasia, sexual ethics and business ethics. Also things like conscience and meta ethics.

It’s mostly focused on religion though
Original post by edjc123
i want to be a history + politics teacher or academic so any of them would work

What degree subejct do you want to do.
Reply 11
What degree subejct do you want to do.

probably something like history and politics or history and philosophy but i dont really know yet
Original post by edjc123
probably something like history and politics or history and philosophy but i dont really know yet

If you want to study History at Uni you will need to do History A level.
Politics at Uni doesnt necessarily require Polirics A level - but without this, how will you know its what you want to do?
Doing Econ without Maths will exclude many Econ degrees.
Etc, etc.

It seems like you need to think more carefully about your A level choices - with a clearer idea of what you intend to do at Uni.
Original post by edjc123
thanks, im certain that i want to do french. the gcse speaking was better than i expected and my teacher is really nice so ill be comfortable doing the a level speaking exam with her too i think. the main issue with speaking at gcse was that i just always felt awkward in class but it will be a smaller class size for a level so that should help :smile:

(also ngl doing the research for the presentation sounds like the sort of thing i like lol)

I agree research bit sounds great it’s the other bits that don’t
At one point I was the only person in my French class so speaking was a lot better then
Reply 14
If you want to study History at Uni you will need to do History A level.
Politics at Uni doesnt necessarily require Polirics A level - but without this, how will you know its what you want to do?
Doing Econ without Maths will exclude many Econ degrees.
Etc, etc.

It seems like you need to think more carefully about your A level choices - with a clearer idea of what you intend to do at Uni.

its history + poltics (and french) that im certain about, and they will let me do any course i want to do as if its not history with either politics or philosophy, it will be some sort of general humanities degree. im not considering an econ degree so not doing maths wont be a problem really (i know i said i dont want to rule out PPE, but its the least likely option tbh as i dont want to give up history so its not awful if i dont do maths). i maybe should have been clear in my first post, but its just my 4th option that im unsure between with either doing econ, rs or eng lang, and im not doing any of them with the intention of doing it at uni. im only wanting to do them because i find them all genuinely interesting so may as well start with 4 and see how it goes.

Quick Reply