The Student Room Group

Should I Pick 5 A-Levels

I have a school somewhat close to me which allows you to do 5 A-levels and I would really like to go to it but the grade boundaries are quite high and im not sure I will be able to get the required grades.

Entry Requirements:
At least six GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications up to a
maximum of two). Four qualifications must be Grade 8
or above and a further two must be grade 7 or above;
such qualifications must include English and
Mathematics.

Scroll to see replies

Don't waste your time doing 5 a levels when you only need 3 maybe 4 at most. You're gonna waste your time going to all those extra lessons, revising and stressing over subjects you're probably not even gonna need
i dont think you should ngl, its not worth all the stress and extra lessons/ revising
5?! i mean most people wouldn't even recommend 4!
Original post by Hawraa.A
I have a school somewhat close to me which allows you to do 5 A-levels and I would really like to go to it but the grade boundaries are quite high and im not sure I will be able to get the required grades.

Entry Requirements:
At least six GCSEs (or equivalent qualifications up to a
maximum of two). Four qualifications must be Grade 8
or above and a further two must be grade 7 or above;
such qualifications must include English and
Mathematics.

Honestly unis do not give a **** how many you do, as long as there's 3 or 4 with good grades you'll be fine. It's better to have 3 A's than 5 c's. That is, if you even do manage getting A's, the amount of hours you'll have to give up is insane. My advice: don't
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Icantspeaksmart
Honestly unis do not give a **** how many you do, as long as there's 3 or 4 with good grade you'll be fine. It's better to have 3 A's than 5 c's. That is if you even do manage getting A's, the amount of hours you'll have to give up is insane. My advice: don't

I cant pick which subjects to do though because I enjoy so many./

Do you have an idea of what kind of career you want to pursue in the future? Or even a general field that you're interested in?

Ik what you mean, try talking to a careers advisor. What career do you want to go in anyway? There's a difference between liking something for the fun of it and being passionate about it and being ready to sacrifice frees and weekends for it.
Reply 8
I wouldn’t recommend 5 it’s just too much content. You could start with 5 see what you like and then drop 2. I find even 3 too much,especially during a level exams
Reply 9
Original post by zasng45
Do you have an idea of what kind of career you want to pursue in the future? Or even a general field that you're interested in?

I want to be a teacher and probs do English and French in Uni.
Unless you are exceptionally able - you should do at most 4. People who do more than 4 almost invariably attend top private schools or are studying abroad. (most people I've seen studying 5 fall in the latter category and are doing IALs) You should weigh up taking a fifth A-level versus over supercurricular activities (or an EPQ) that might better aid your university applications and so on. High-flyers generally find better uses for their time than a 5th A-level, is what I'm getting at.

You should start on 4 if you are unsure what to take and drop to 3 if you later decide or find that 4 is too much. If you are very sure what to take, 3 is ok.
(edited 1 year ago)

Then stick to english lit/lang (any u prefer) and french, with ONE max 2 extra and drop one in A level.
There's a lot to do other than A-levels during 6th form, like super-curricular research for unis, which is much more useful than another A-level. A-levels are definitely a lot of work compared to GCSEs, even just doing 3 or 4, so IMO a 5th A-level is completely unnecessary and not recommended. Don't underestimate A-levels just because you're dropping to a few subjects and you're doing well at GCSEs.
Reply 13
Original post by Icantspeaksmart
Then stick to english lit/lang (any u prefer) and french, with ONE max 2 extra and drop one in A level.

Between Psychology P.E politics History and Biology idk what to pick.

how would those subjects help with english and history at uni? except from history and psychology perhaps?
Reply 15
Original post by dahlia06
how would those subjects help with english and history at uni? except from history and psychology perhaps?

Just because I enjoy them... also English and French not English and History.

Don't do 5 - spend an afternoon in a Primary school to get experience - far more valuable.

Do you have a 3rd field in mind, possibly try to reference it off of that and decide. My advice: Psychology: very interesting and is seen as a softer subject (as said by my sister) History: Challenging but can burn you out if the period study is not of your interest. Biology: I'm taking it, it's a lot to cover but if you enjoy STEM or just bio in general, then go for it.
check this out: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
(edited 1 year ago)

FWIW, English, French and any other 1 or 2 A-levels would be fine here. Pick whatever you feel you could do the best in. (for people applying to English that'll probably naturally be something like History but might not be)

ah my bad, i read it wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest