Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to the Uni's below, but I'm not so sure on Exeter. The course looks good, and the stats etc are alright, but the things I'm hearing aren't encouraging!

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    What things are you hearing?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is beautiful and the perfect size and vaguely elite and JKR's uni.

I don't understand what else anyone would want from a uni. I wanna goooo there.

ReputationRep:
    That it isnt the best university around. People are having Exeter as a back up! Its just worrying! Is it true its just outside the top 10?

ReputationRep:
    depends - quite a few are having it as a science subject back-up as they have lower offers..but for arts/humanities/social sciences etc it's v good

ReputationRep:
    Im applying for Law. The place looks so great! but I live in Leicester, so its a trek and a half....

ReputationRep:
    'Exeter was the winner of the University of the Year award in 2007, after finishing runner up three times running. In 2006, it was noted that, "Exeter's excellent record merits special recognition as runner-up this year. Students here are some of the most satisfied in the country, ranking it on the fringes of the top 10. High entry standards and low dropout rates further entrench its standing." Sunday Times, 10 September 2006.' From Wikipedia.

Does it really matter where it is in the league tables? I could probably find a league table somewhere that told me that some Uni, say Southampton Solent was above Oxford. If you want the best university around then you'd go to Oxbridge, but Exeter is one of the Unis (like York and Bristol) that has a fair few Oxbridge rejects.

The science offers (as far as I know) have also been quite high this year - look in the Exeter applicants 2009 thread and it will tell you a load of the offers - there have been a fair few AAA offers, I cant think of more than 2 or possibly three that have been below that - and I think they were AAB. (for the main campus this is, Cornwall Campus has lower offers as it is a less established campus and needs the intake of people more - level of teaching the same, just a lower offer.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from possible snobbery, I haven't heard anything bad about it.

My aunt went there and she is posh but she's also lovely. (Impossible, I know)

ReputationRep:
    This is great, cleared up my doubts. Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    Its 13th in the times this year, and climbing - ambitious to get into the top 10 and putting huge amounts of investment into the facilities here. The lecturers are great, theres as much support as you want, and its a lovelyy location.

Also for the apparant snobbery - ive not seen any!! Im not on main campus but i have friends there who aren't having any problems either.

Choose the cornwall campus its niceee.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be at no other university. I love it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmcorr)
    I would rather be at no other university. I love it here.
    :five: Got it in one =D

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - have you heard, Sephrenia, that they're changing the schools around for next year - archeology is moving to be with classics, history and ancient history and a new school of geography is being created! All to move Exeter up the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't base your choice on 'University League Table Rankings', but, sadly, this seems what most people on here asking questions about Exeter as a University seem to do. Such judgements are crass and foolish.

It is much better to go to a place, take it in for a morning / afternoon and see if you can see yourself being there.

Myself, for example, for some foolish reason applied to Kingston as one of my choices. God knows why, as I hate London. The moment I got there, didn't even need to get out of the car, just instinctively knew I hated it. But then thats just me, different strokes for different folks, and all that.

But going for the league table rankings as a large part of your application decision? An imprudent judgement, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree that if you afford the time and money, take a look at the potential universities before applying. As one living outside UK, I see friends applying mainly based on league table and recommendation from others, which can be risky. Of course their academic results matter most when placing their choices. I must admit that Exeter is not well known in my place but as far as I know, should be a good university, without doubt.

ReputationRep:
    The only possible "bad thing" about Exeter is that it has a bit of a reputation for being an Oxbridge reject university. And personally, I wouldn't really call that a bad thing, because it means a lot of people perceive it to be the next best thing (amongst other unis) after Oxbridge (the same can be said for Durham, Bristol and Imperial etc.)

Overall, I think Exeter, and Exeter uni are awesome. The uni has a great reputation nationally, some very strong departments (English and history for example) and it is set in really nice countryside in a small, cosey, safe town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celestianpower)
    Yeah - have you heard, Sephrenia, that they're changing the schools around for next year - archeology is moving to be with classics, history and ancient history and a new school of geography is being created! All to move Exeter up the league tables.
    I ahve indeed. SECaM is joining with Physics and Cambourne School of Mines as well. Should make life easier for the Maths+Physics people! It's to do with funding I expect - Physics is insanely rich, whereas SECam is under-funded. Not sure why we get CSM as well though =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    That it isnt the best university around. People are having Exeter as a back up! Its just worrying! Is it true its just outside the top 10?
    I don't think you have been talking to people that know very much about Higher Education!! Exeter has always been a strong university and has become very popular over the last 5 years, so much so that the grades you need to get in are rather high. Out of your list of universities, Exeter is the highest in the league tables (by about 40 places in some cases).

For a general overview of it's success, read these two short articles:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/about/league...8-4395116-182C

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/news_un...7-4581764-090D

ReputationRep:
    In terms of its "Oxbridge reject" status, The Times reported that Exeter is one of the highest first choice universities around:

[From the Exeter U. website] The Times Good University Guide ranks Exeter in 13th position. It says: ‘Exeter is one of Britain’s most popular universities in terms of first-choice applications, not only in its traditional strong suit, the arts, but increasingly in the sciences and social sciences.’

Exeter can't be simply an Oxbridge reject university if so many people put it down as their first choice.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is a good university. Before I came here and while I was applying for my universities through UCAS I was also concerned that this place wasn't up to Oxbridge standard. Now that I'm here I honestly couldn't care less. It's worth keeping in mind that it's a great university in terms of academic achievements and, almost as important, it's fun. You may go to Cambridge but you also have to work your absolute balls off. Although you do work hard here too, I can easily say that most Exeter students will say they enjoy an epic social life whilst graduating with an excellent reputed degree.

As for snobbery here I'd say there is to a certain degree. Although being quite a fun group, the rugby lads can seem quite up themselves and because rugby is huge here you do get quite a few of them. You'll obv find more snobs around the nicer halls like Holland Hall and Birks Grange but tbh, they're the best places to be :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 23, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.