Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Over the past week, I have only seen a handful of students wearing a poppy at my education institute.
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers died for their love of this country and their duty to defend her.
    It upsets me that the vast majority of students do not wear a poppy just once a year to recognize their bravery and sacrifice. I must also add that I didn't see one student who is ethic minority wearing a poppy.

Since Tuesday this week I wore the poppy with pride. Proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    Guilty, but only because my poppy fell off on wednesday and I haven't had change all week. I did wear one today though and I'll wear it and carry 50p for the next couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    I bought me & my friend one, I haven't seen anyone else wearing one my age though.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm French, so I believe I have a good reason not to remember your dead soldiers. I have enough with mine.

ReputationRep:
    i've bought a few poppies this week but I haven't worn them.
    doesn't mean i'm ungrateful or spoiled.

ReputationRep:
    I've only just got a poppy today, it was the first time I've came into contact with one, I just haven't seen them anywhere, so I can understand why other students at my college won't have had any.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear the poppy, but it's hardly a monetary issue.

It's mainly about respect, yes. But I won't **** off anyone who doesn't wear one; I think it's down to a lack of mainstream sales.

I wear it with respect, pride less so.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they gave the money to charity but didn't take the poppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    Over the past week, I have only seen a handful of students wearing a poppy at my education institute.
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers died for their love of this country and their duty to defend her.
    It upsets me that the vast majority of students do not wear a poppy just once a year to recognize their bravery and sacrifice. I must also add that I didn't see one student who is ethic minority wearing a poppy.

They certainly didn't die for you and the other BNP fanboys.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not waste my money on a paper flower, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    They certainly didn't die for you and the other BNP fanboys.
    lol. how pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I gave money but didn't wear it, it just seems wrong to wear one with a t-shirt and jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I can show my respect in my own way and others have a right to do the same. It's very arrogant to suggest we all must show our respect in the same way. I appreciate the symbolim behind the poppy but I don't think I'm showing a lack of respect not wearing one.

Also, in fairness, it's not only students who are "at fault". I haven't seen one adult under the age of 60 (my mother being the one exception) wear a poppy in goodness know how many years.

ReputationRep:
    I have yet to buy a poppy but I plan to. I usually buy one every year.

ReputationRep:
    take that back this instance. I am not a BNP supporter, sympathizer or anything else you call me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I'm French, so I believe I have a good reason not to remember your dead soldiers. I have enough with mine.

then why not wear one to remember your dead soliders, or the people in OUR country which YOU'RE living in who have fought and died for your freedom to live and be educated here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)

Well maybe if they didn't stop trusting us with metal pins, and hadn't changed the poppy to some stupid, unwearable bit of plastic crap more people would wear one. I haven't worn one this year, but I stuck my donation in the tub - does that make me an "ungrateful , spoiled little brat, who would rather spend [my] money on alcohol/drugs." and who doesn't "recognize[sic] their bravery and sacrifice?"

Now get off your high horse you stuck-up madam!

BTW, how was the parade today?

ReputationRep:
    I will wear one for another 10 years, but after then its for soliders who died for causes I do not believe in so I wont.

ReputationRep:
    ive seen a few people at my uni wearing one, not loads though. i wore one.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.