Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been wearing a poppy and I haven't seen anyone else walking around wearing them either, even our lecturers! Then again, I havent actually seen them on sale anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.
    Granted you are allowed your own opinions, but this does not apply to everyone who doesnt wear a poppy. Think about the other factors involved, dont just assume.

ReputationRep:
    I bought one, but it didn't come with a pin so I had no way of wearing it on anything but shirts.

ReputationRep:
    I always buy mine, if I lose it, I buy another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I will wear one for another 10 years, but after then its for soliders who died for causes I do not believe in so I wont.
    ummm why what is happening in 10 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    take that back this instance. I am not a BNP supporter, sympathizer or anything else you call me.
    And I am not a rampant drug abuser... See how that works?

I was merely pointing out the recklessness and stupidity of your own assumptions by making some of my own.

Your specific comment on ethnic minorities (I'm sure you meant ethnic not 'ethic'), however, were slightly inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    I bought two, I always lose one , I saw quite a lot of people at university wearing them to be honest, I don't really think you should put students in the firing line when it's not just students who don't buy poppies.........

And I always got a pin with mine too, *shrugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    Over the past week, I have only seen a handful of students wearing a poppy at my education institute.
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers died for their love of this country and their duty to defend her.
    It upsets me that the vast majority of students do not wear a poppy just once a year to recognize their bravery and sacrifice. I must also add that I didn't see one student who is ethic minority wearing a poppy.

Since Tuesday this week I wore the poppy with pride. Proud to be British.
    Your statement slightly stereotypes things. I've bought three poppies and paid about £5 in total. Also attended the rememberence parade and last year presented an assembly on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I'm French, so I believe I have a good reason not to remember your dead soldiers. I have enough with mine.
    I hope you can still respect our soldiers (who, during the second world war, helped to liberate your country).

I can show my respect for French soldiers (who we fought alongside in two world wars) and have a massive respect for the French resistance during the second world war. I don't see why I should only care about British lives lost during war.

Lives lost during war, the first world war in particular, is a tragedy. They all should be remembered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I will wear one for another 10 years, but after then its for soliders who died for causes I do not believe in so I wont.
    That's ridiculous; it's not the soldiers faults they're in Iraq, nor is it the governments fault. It's the fault of the Labour gov, and as money collected from Poppies doesn't go to the Labour gov, there is no plausible reason not to give money to Iraq veterans/their families.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I haven't been wearing a poppy and I haven't seen anyone else walking around wearing them either, even our lecturers! Then again, I havent actually seen them on sale anywhere.
    There's a box on the main reception desk :p: or at least there was last week!

ReputationRep:
    And also, I haven't seen ANYONE selling them! I will totally buy one, as soon as I see one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahl89)
    ummm why what is happening in 10 years?
    Basic math suggests this will mark 100 years since the end of the 'great war'.

But if you disagreed with the causes, as I do, why not stop now?

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school, almost all of us wore one, and now at university almost half of students wore one.

I have no idea where you people live, but it sounds like you're surrounded by people who just don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    And I am not a rampant drug abuser... See how that works?.
    :laugh: Come on OP, even I saw where he ws coming with that. Fell into the trap. Yes, your comment about ethnic minority students was particularly inappopriate and provactive. Then again, I wouldn't expect anything different though.

ReputationRep:
    I think this may be more to do with the fact that young people are more likely to lose/ruin the paper poppy than being ungrateful. I've bought about 3 poppies and have somehow managed to misplace all 3.

ReputationRep:
    my comment on ethnic(thank you typo pick up) minorities was just an observation. It is not in any way "inappropriate"

I'm sure some people in ethnic minorities did wear one , but where i am , i did not see one person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Basic math suggests this will mark 100 years since the end of the 'great war'.

But if you disagreed with the causes, as I do, why not stop now?
    Yes - but i dont see what that has to do with anything.. just cause it was over a hundred years ago its irrelevant or something?? help me out here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    And also, I haven't seen ANYONE selling them! I will totally buy one, as soon as I see one!
    :ditto:

I didn't agree with the causes either.

(Original post by TOSCS)
    Show my support for the *******s who brutally murdered my ancestors? You must be joking, I hope they died of the most painful deaths possible.

Also I'd rather my money didn't go toward the British occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.
    You aren't funding the government when you buy a poppy.
    Although I'm pacifist, we have to appreciate our history and get on with life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    That's ridiculous; it's not the soldiers faults they're in Iraq, nor is it the governments fault. It's the fault of the Labour gov, and as money collected from Poppies doesn't go to the Labour gov, there is no plausible reason not to give money to Iraq veterans/their families.
    It wasn't just the iraq wars...
    I don't believe that people who volenteer for a job where they may kill or be killed need an appeal in the same way coal miners didn't and loggers don't.

However I support those who fought and died in times of conscription/socal responsibility.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.