Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisstassen)
    I used to wear one..until they ILLEGALLY invaded iraq/afghanistan

i refuse to remember those soldiers..as brave as they may be..as they died not for me, but for something I dont believe in. Not invading iraq would not have resulted in me spending my evenings inside a bomb shelter..like people in my age during the world war..and the soldiers that died for THIS COUNTRY back then were nothing but heroes. Will start wearing one again when/if that American led bloodbath finishes.
    The First World War although not illegal was equally as pointless as Iraq. WW1 was born out of a web of alliances and old rivalries. Not a moral or good war by any means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisstassen)
    By supporting the poppy appeal...I would be encouraging the war in Iraq...
    :eek:

You jest, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    ofcourse..because our soliders have CHOSEN to invade those countries, and not simply doing their job and duty for queen and country...

Exactly. They're doing a job, and getting paid for it. Woop de ****** doo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I will wear one for another 10 years, but after then its for soliders who died for causes I do not believe in so I wont.
    Quite.

And Robbie, at a guess, the 10 years has more to do with the fact most WWII veterans will be dead in 10 years (that being the war he believes in), seeing as there is very little to believe in WWI.

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse..because our soliders have CHOSEN to invade those countries, and not simply doing their job and duty for queen and country...
    But they've chosen to join the army, it's not like there is conscription so although they may not support the war, by joining the army they have agreed to go into conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    The First World War although not illegal was equally as pointless as Iraq. WW1 was born out of a web of alliances and old rivalries. Not a moral or good war by any means.
    Now that I actually think of it- you are hundred percent true!!...

its just that during the world war, civilians in this country were actually under threat..and so in my eyes it was a proper war.
    That cant be said for the current "war" we are taking part in

ReputationRep:
    i havent had the chance to actually get one... can i still wear it? iv always worn one every year! just this year i havent actually had time to get one or when i do, i forget :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It doesn't go towards the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan, just the families of soldiers killed in said wars.
    And how dare you call them '*******s', seriously, I can't even begin to try and reason with that pathetic statement.
    Well listen up. Here's a direct quote of the orders given to the Black & Tans (vastly made up of WW1 veterans)

If a police barracks is burned or if the barracks already occupied is not suitable, then the best house in the locality is to be commandeered, the occupants thrown into the gutter. Let them die there—the more the merrier.

Should the order ("Hands Up&quot not be immediately obeyed, shoot and shoot with effect. If the persons approaching (a patrol) carry their hands in their pockets, or are in any way suspicious-looking, shoot them down. You may make mistakes occasionally and innocent persons may be shot, but that cannot be helped, and you are bound to get the right parties some time. The more you shoot, the better I will like you, and I assure you no policeman will get into trouble for shooting any man.

ReputationRep:
    That's it! Anna successfully generalises every single immigrant in the UK. Brilliant.
    hmm wrong thing to say there, but no..some people do do it, and treat our land as if its a place to live, and it just upsets me sometimes when people dont bother learning languages, sharing in our traditions (eg complaining about christmas stuff at xmas)...

Im suddenly going very racist..i'll shut up

ReputationRep:
    I don't support the government's decision, I support the working soldiers themselves in living their lives, and respect them. It's unfortunate that they are brainwashed with "Queen and Country" rubbish, because then they would see the real picture and join the army for practical purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    ...by joining the army they have agreed to go into conflicts.
    i. So did soldiers in the First World War.
    ii. Does this really mean they shouldn't be remembered for their sacrifices?

I have one in the lapel of my coat and in my uniform at work. I wish they were a bit eaier to wear since I've bought about 10 this year as they keep falling off or just start to look really tatty.

Alot of my friends wear them and so do most people at my college. At work we all bought one to wear.

I don't really wear it for any patriotic or nationalist reasons but simply because my relatives gave their lives in wars and people have died fighting for the idea of Britain.

I definetly don't agree with the OP though. The poppy is not compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    They certainly didn't die for you and the other BNP fanboys.
    oh the irony there and you dont even realise it.

Icidently at my work place only myself and anther bloke were wearing poppies the last two days we were discussing it outside on break,

ReputationRep:
    They volunteer to fight and support this country from external threat. Without an army where would we be now?
    And when they die, their families, who incidentally did not volunteer, need our support. Such callousness...
    Without an army = would that be the swiss? and they dont have a big moat around them

The family get a decent pay off at the time.

Again, loggers and coal miners dont get such a healthy pay off and theres no national collection for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan-IW)
    And Robbie, at a guess, the 10 years has more to do with the fact most WWII veterans will be dead in 10 years (that being the war he believes in), seeing as there is very little to believe in WWI.
    Yes (I couldnt summise that as well as you did) and its the 100 year aniversary of WW1 so seems a reasonable cut off.

ReputationRep:
    I can think of better ways to show my appreciation than wearing a paper flower.

ReputationRep:
    You're in our country, you should accept and be a part of our culture..thats the wrong with immigrants in that they shunt british culture and see this place as a house, and not a home...

It's simply a mark of respect, we all died fighting and rememberance of the dead is not a cultural difference..and if i was living in france, germany..america, i would HAPPILY respect their rememberance days and show respect by taking part in their traditions.
    What a sick and disgusting generalisation of every immigrant in Britain - I proudly wear a poppy, read my earlier post on my great-grandparents and grandparents fighting in the two World Wars.

And by the way, seeing as you're so forwardly proud of British culture and this country, at least get the language and spelling correct! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invictus_88)
    i. So did soldiers in the First World War.
    ii. Does this really mean they shouldn't be remembered for their sacrifices?
    No, all I was doing was responding to the post saying that the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have chosen to fight. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be remembered.

Also, I'm thinking out loud here, but a sacrifice implies it was worthwhile, something that had to be done for the greater good. The deaths in the first world war and also, I believe, in Iraq and Afghanistan, are/were not worthwhile, not for the greater good, and were completely futile. This does not mean they shouldn't be remembered, that's not at all what I'm trying to say

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite annoyed by the OP's pretentious preaching about a paper flower.

(Original post by TOSCS)
    Well listen up. Here's a direct quote of the orders given to the Black & Tans (vastly made up of WW1 veterans)
    Atrocities were commited on both sides in The Troubles.

Buying a poppy is not supporting the vile acts of the Black and Tans, it's respecting people who died to protect the people of Britain's freedom.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.