Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisstassen)
    Now that I actually think of it- you are hundred percent true!!...

its just that during the world war, civilians in this country were actually under threat..and so in my eyes it was a proper war.
    That cant be said for the current "war" we are taking part in
    I'm not sure we were under threat. It is arguable that Germany initiated the war in order to gain her 'place in the sun' but the bit under the sun was France basically. Britain didn't have to get involved, the connection -an old treaty with Belgium- was a little strenuous. Right until just about the last minute Britain's decision wasn't clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Invasion of Afghanistan was fully legal, wtf are you talking about... if your parents were vapourised by a jumbo jet crashing into their office you might have a different idea about what hiding in a bomb shelter is about...
    HAHAHA
    what a completely moronic remark..

erm..when was the last time an Afghan led jumbo jet crashed into any offices in the UK.
    Have we just become the 51st state of america??....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    Over the past week, I have only seen a handful of students wearing a poppy at my education institute.
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers died for their love of this country and their duty to defend her.
    It upsets me that the vast majority of students do not wear a poppy just once a year to recognize their bravery and sacrifice. I must also add that I didn't see one student who is ethic minority wearing a poppy.

Since Tuesday this week I wore the poppy with pride. Proud to be British.
    Its not the students fault if they haven't been taught the values in being proud of your countries heritage. heck, its offensive to some overly sensitive people if you're proud of British heritage, what with all the atrocities Britain committed as an empire. It shows that the people you are generalising are more selfish than spoiled/ungrateful.

It upsets and saddens me too that people are more often than not so uninterested in their own country, especially Britain.

That is quite ironic in a sense; there were many volunteers and conscripts from the Indian parts of the British Empire who fought in WWI. Still, I think the important thing that this shows is that maybe the ethnic minorities do not feel truly accepted/part of Britain as they are not bothered about wearing a poppy. In fact that applies to anyone; if you're not bothered about something as simple as wearing a poppy, does that make you automatically more distanced from British pride?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    hmm wrong thing to say there, but no..some people do do it, and treat our land as if its a place to live, and it just upsets me sometimes when people dont bother learning languages, sharing in our traditions (eg complaining about christmas stuff at xmas)...

Im suddenly going very racist..i'll shut up
    Tbh, I think the only people who complained about Christmas stuff at Christmas was white people trying to appease ethnic minorities (who didn't have a problem with it...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.T)
    I didn't say all students.
    No, you are correct, you didn't: -

(Original post by L.T)
    Over the past week, I have only seen a handful of students wearing a poppy at my education institute.
    This makes me think most students are ungrateful , spoiled little brats, who would rather spend their money on alcohol/drugs.
    Still, this sounds like a stereotype to me. I can assure you that most students don't spend their money on drugs. Yes, many do spend money on alcholol but, then again, so does the majority of the population. I don't see how students are more guilty.

You still haven't replied to my point that I (and I would say many others here) so very, very few adults wearing poppies (whether student or not). However, you like to pick on students as, after all, this is a student website and it's good for a reaction. You've got it. Well done.

I can remember sitting a Durham train station, just two years ago on Remembrance day. I was there, with a small group of other students, and we did respect the silence. Not one adult on either platform did the same. All of them showed a great lack of respect. The only people who did were students. Shoch horror :rolleyes:

Also, you're very arrogant. Assuming that the only way to respect or remember the dead is by wearing a poppy. This isn't true.

(Original post by L.T)
    I'm surprised you're a moderator given my exchanges with you on this forum today.
    I've been quite polite, thank you very much. You, on the other hand, went around and started calling my posts "stupid" without really expanding on that ("well that's a stupid point" ).

I do realise that my comment about teens with warning points may have sounded as if I was targeting you. That wasn't the case. First of all, I don't know your age and I also didn't realise you had warning points at the time.

But lets not derail this thread. Any issues you have with me then take it up by PM.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA
    what a completely moronic remark..

erm..when was the last time an Afghan led jumbo jet crashed into any offices in the UK.
    Have we just become the 51st state of america??....
    The United States is our ally. They are not just our ally; the United States of America and Great Britain are blood brothers. Our ally was attacked, and legally, via Article 6 of NATO, we were obligated to aid them in punishing those who harbour terrorists.

Go read a book you ignorant commie ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    No, all I was doing was responding to the post saying that the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have chosen to fight. It doesn't mean they shouldn't be remembered.

Also, I'm thinking out loud here, but a sacrifice implies it was worthwhile, something that had to be done for the greater good. The deaths in the first world war and also, I believe, in Iraq and Afghanistan, are/were not worthwhile, not for the greater good, and were completely futile. This does not mean they shouldn't be remembered, that's not at all what I'm trying to say
    i. Good good.

ii. The sacrifices made by soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are not done because they support government policy - even the most cursory examination shows deep military opposition to the decisions made by this government - and so are not tarnished by any shortcomings of that government.

I'm glad you're not saying they're not worthy of remembrance though, as that was my uncomfortable suspicion.

ReputationRep:
    By supporting the poppy appeal...I would be encouraging the war in Iraq...
    :eek:

You jest, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and as an after thought, what about people who buy drugs and a poppy?
    Where do we fit in? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    i havent got a poppy, just because i havent seen any anywhere to be able to get one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    The United States is our ally. They are not just our ally; the United States of America and Great Britain are blood brothers. Our ally was attacked, and legally, via Article 6 of NATO, we were obligated to aid them in punishing those who harbour terrorists.

Go read a book you ignorant commie ****.
    hahaha
    so your talk of "allies" and "brothers" gains precedence over something that is morally wrong..
    if your brother murdered someone tomorrow...would you defend such a heinous crime??...
    it is people like you that make the world such a terrible place....

let me remind you that the terrorism your blood brothers are causing in the world is not any less than the terrible incident that the war is a retaliation for.

If anything, what is there to prove that such an atrocity was carried out by Afghan people..or civilians that have been killed as a result.
    I may be a commie , but you my friend, are a supporter of war crimes

ReputationRep:
    I've brought one from the same bloke at my local football team every year for as long as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    Fed up of these threads. **** off with your tainted patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't bought one. To be honest, I don't really have a good reason why either.
    But I'm certainly not ungrateful. I'm well aware of the sacrifices made, and touring the cemeteries in France and Belgium earlier this year, along with witnessing the Last Post at the Menin Gate, really brought home to me just how many people died. I have the utmost respect for anyone who has lost their life for this country.
    I'll probably go out tomorrow and see if I can buy a poppy (if they're still being sold) because this thread has made me feel a bit guilty.

ReputationRep:
    I bought one... and broke it. Haven't been into town since to get another one, so that's why I'm not wearing one. Plus, I'm not an ethnic minority, but I am an immigrant, helping to disprove the theory that none of us wear them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.