The Student Room Group

do predicted 1st year grades need to match entry grades?

Hi all, do universities require you to have the same grades as the entry ones?(eg if you needed AAB you need predicted grades of AAB) or would they accept a lower grade since it's only first year?
Your predicted grades aren’t finalised for ucas until your application is submitted (which can be as late as January so halfway through your second year of A levels).

Some universities will filter applications on predicted grades. Those that do will usually have some flexibility because predictions are unreliable. Most universities don’t use predicted grades at all. If you’re predicted BBB and get an AAB offer then the university can reject you on results day if you don’t meet your offer conditions so there’s zero risk to universities of making offers to applicants predicted below the offer conditions.
Original post by emisaurusz
Hi all, do universities require you to have the same grades as the entry ones?(eg if you needed AAB you need predicted grades of AAB) or would they accept a lower grade since it's only first year?

I don’t think the school sends your entry ones, they are just predicted grades sent to them and they may give you offers off of those but I guess by year 13, you may be given the chance to reach the requirement or you may get enough UCAS points that equal an AAB?
Even with predicted grades that are lower thtn the entry grades, many Unis will still make an offer.
Obviously you have to get the required grades as stated in the offer next August but this can be enormously motivating - 'I want that Uni' etc.

The usual advice re. predicted grades and entry requirements is to make your 5 UCAS choices :

1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades - one grade and not in a critical subject
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades

More advice on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
From my experience it depends on the course you’re applying for, the university you’re applying for, your overall application, as well as multiple other external factors. In sum, it’s difficult to say. I know a lot of people that got unconditional offers from universities that don’t usually give out unconditionals for the 2020/21 entry because of covid! But obviously things like that change all the time. It also depends on your school/college and what your predicted grades are and how they calculate those. For example, I always struggled in mocks because I didn’t find them important enough to study properly for so whilst I got a C or a B in one of my mocks, the teacher would still predict me an A based on my ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending