Will I get in to pharmacy through clearing?

Watch this thread
Abrs8
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello people. I’ve been put into a bad situation at no one’s fault but mine. I’m a very bright lad who had managed to get a medicine offer, but due to a number of reasons which I’m reluctant to discuss, I have performed terribly in my exams. My A level grades are CCD in Biology, Psychology and Chemistry (in that order). Resitting is not an option unfortunately and now I’m left with 2022 clearing. I’ve decided I want to study pharmacy however I’m not sure if I can get in with my grades, hence my question. If anyone knows of a 4 year or a foundation year pharmacy course that may accept me through clearing, with these grades, please let me know. Please spare any harsh words as I have already learnt my lesson… I just want to know what I can do moving forward.
Hannahleyla1
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Clearing opens on the 5th of July, don’t wait till results day to check what is available, I would check ucas daily from the 5th of July to see what is available. Do not wait till results day! Check first. You don’t want to be wasting time faffing about in results day ringing every university under the sun, check what unis have space first on ucas, rank them in order of your favourite to least favourite, call them in this order on results day to ensure you get a university that you are happy with xx if your unsure of the clearing entry requirements ( as some unis bring there entry requirements down in clearing ) ring up and check! If you already have results from last year and arnt waiting for results, start calling unis on the 5th oh July and get in there first, clearing usually has lots of options, until results day and they all get snapped up very quickly x
Last edited by Hannahleyla1; 1 month ago
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abrs8)
Hello people. I’ve been put into a bad situation at no one’s fault but mine. I’m a very bright lad who had managed to get a medicine offer, but due to a number of reasons which I’m reluctant to discuss, I have performed terribly in my exams. My A level grades are CCD in Biology, Psychology and Chemistry (in that order). Resitting is not an option unfortunately and now I’m left with 2022 clearing. I’ve decided I want to study pharmacy however I’m not sure if I can get in with my grades, hence my question. If anyone knows of a 4 year or a foundation year pharmacy course that may accept me through clearing, with these grades, please let me know. Please spare any harsh words as I have already learnt my lesson… I just want to know what I can do moving forward.
Why wait until Clearing? Why not apply now via UCAS Extra? It's open until 4th July.

Take a look what courses UCAS believes still have places. I see several where UCAS says CCD would work. For example:

Pharmacy with Foundation Year at Liverpool John Moores
Pharmacy with Integrated Foundation Year at University of Brighton
MPharm Pharmacy with a Preparatory (Foundation) Year at Swansea University

Once you've found a course you like the look of, and checked the entry conditions on the universities own web site, call then up to make sure that they really do have places available (UCAS can be out-of-date). And then apply via UCAS Extra. Good luck.
mrlittlebigman
Badges: 12
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abrs8)
I'm not sure you would get straight onto a pharmacy degree with CCD, but it's certainly worth ringing around, as others have suggested. Pity it's not CCC, you would have got a place somewhere with that I would think.
(Those are your actual grades, yes? CCD?)
Try some of the newer schools of pharmacy. Kingston, Hertfordshire, Reading, Huddersfield, Wolverhampton.
From memory and reading during clearing last summer, I think you would get onto a foundation pharmacy course with CCD.

Do keep in mind that it will then be 6 years. One year foundation, 4 yr degree, one year pre-reg, to qualify.

Have you any experience in a pharmacy area?
Although a lot of universities don't specifically ask for work experience in a pharmacy setting, especially due to Covid, I'm sure other pharmacists on here would agree, that before you spend £37k, plus foundation year fee, and six years of your life, you are aware of the type of work that you will end up doing, especially if your research and PS, etc were all focused on medicine.

I say this as I have tutored many pharmacy students over the years, the last being a young man just before Covid hit, who had missed his dentistry place by one grade, and was rejected, so choose pharmacy in clearing having no idea what the day job at the end of the course was going to be. And he told me he was bored by ten past nine! (In my retail pharmacy!)
Unfortunately, he had pushy parents basically, who didn't want him 'wasting' a year doing a resit, and hence he was snapped up to do pharmacy.
(You mention medicine, hence my little story.)

Is there no way at all you can resit, or even get the chemistry paper remarked on an appeal to try for a C ?
That would at least save you doing a foundation year.
Do PM if you have anything you would prefer to ask in private.
AbMd
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Abrs8)
How have you received your results already?
Hisdarkseraph
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey quick q about pharmacy clearing? Do you have to do interviews?
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muminah2501)
Hey quick q about pharmacy clearing? Do you have to do interviews?
Hi @Muminah2501

To obtain a place on the MPharm at the University of Huddersfield through clearing you may be asked to partake in an interview.
Please visit https://www.hud.ac.uk/clearing/interviews/ for more information

Hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (61)
68.54%
In the post (3)
3.37%
Text (12)
13.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.61%

Watched Threads