Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently been offered a new job and I'd like to open an accoutn (current account preferably) and a savings account (less important right now) before I start so I have my bank details ready for my employer.

What do people suggest as a good bank?

Everyone will suggest something different. Usually their own bank.

I reccomend Barclays for a current account.

ReputationRep:
    Depends; nothing is the same for everyone. What factors are most important; branch access, debit/credit/guarantee card facilities, overdraft rate / credit interest rate; online/phone banking; or others? Anyone will have their own bad experiences with particular banks/groups, and their own good - overall, each is probably as bad (/good) as each other.

Take a look at the various banks websites - NatWest, RBS, HBOS, Nationwide, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Clydesdale, HSBC - are the most popular ones, off the top of my head anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have one already? I find that a bit odd for an 18 year old :p:

Have a look on here for some indepth info http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/

I'm with Barclays who I think are pretty good. I think you should consider things like the distance to the closest branch etc etc

Well done on the new job too

ReputationRep:
    I have an account with the derbyshire. Its just a basic young saver cash account, not debut cart, just a cash card... got it for when I was getting EMA... just not botheresd to change it til now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I'm with Barclays who I think are pretty good. I think you should consider things like the distance to the closest branch etc etc
    ^^ Ditto - I made that mistake - my home town has quite a few NatWests and I assumed that the city I was going to uni in would be similar, so I didn't even think about it when opening an account. It has an entire one in the city centre, which is a pain to get to. Cue my opening of a HBOS account - one branch just on the corner, and about 30 in total in the city.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with RBS and find them decent enough but like others have said you need to consider,where nearest branch is etc

AJxx

ReputationRep:
    Well Natwest have been really good to me but then again I simply use mine to pay in money and take it back again. Consider which one is closer, best interest rates etc and use money expert forums.

ReputationRep:
    You will get good and bad reviews from customers of all banks... just pick one that suits you best (that might be nearest branch, easiest online banking, whether they offer you a maestro/visa card, or whatever is important to you!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.