The Student Room Group

Just did my A level bio mock

Hi,

I am so sad. I’m in yr12 and I just finished my a level bio mock and it went so bad. I was confident with at least one question. It was it of 100, I think I got 20. I want to dentistry and I need at least an A. How will I do it. I spent weeks revising for it, cancelling plans, doing all nighters. All of my energy was for nothing. I hate my life. I don’t know what’s my next step, I won’t be predicted an A. This is so sad.
Original post by vesq
Hi,

I am so sad. I’m in yr12 and I just finished my a level bio mock and it went so bad. I was confident with at least one question. It was it of 100, I think I got 20. I want to dentistry and I need at least an A. How will I do it. I spent weeks revising for it, cancelling plans, doing all nighters. All of my energy was for nothing. I hate my life. I don’t know what’s my next step, I won’t be predicted an A. This is so sad.

Wow, weeks revising. Maybe you went wrong with the revision you were doing? Do you do AQA?
Im in the same situation as you, maybe you can look into contextual offers or try harder in the year 13 mocks?
Reply 3
I feel like I did so bad. All that amount of energy I put in, not leaving my room for months just to revise for this subject. I don't know what to do. I did my chem test today, it went better than biology but I'm still not happy. I think I will get 50/100 in chem which is equally as bad. I used Anki for all of my work. It was meant to be an amazing revision technique used by medics. It's horrible I should have stuck to traditional revision methods. It is a good GCSE but not available there is too much content to condense into cards. I should have listened to the people who said to stop using Anki and do past papers. Now I forgot everything on AS and now we're moving on to A2. I am not confident with AS topics. I don't know what to do, my life is a mess. My dream of becoming a dentist looks distant now. I hate my life. Any tips :frown:

Sorry for the rant I just needed to get things off my chest
Reply 4
Original post by vesq
I feel like I did so bad. All that amount of energy I put in, not leaving my room for months just to revise for this subject. I don't know what to do. I did my chem test today, it went better than biology but I'm still not happy. I think I will get 50/100 in chem which is equally as bad. I used Anki for all of my work. It was meant to be an amazing revision technique used by medics. It's horrible I should have stuck to traditional revision methods. It is a good GCSE but not available there is too much content to condense into cards. I should have listened to the people who said to stop using Anki and do past papers. Now I forgot everything on AS and now we're moving on to A2. I am not confident with AS topics. I don't know what to do, my life is a mess. My dream of becoming a dentist looks distant now. I hate my life. Any tips :frown:

boost
Original post by vesq

My advice will not be to write the notes on the anti cards. Instead make up questions for the topic. You could also add past paper questions that relate to the questions. And practice them everywhere.
You may have to find the revision method that works for you. I hope that helps
Also maybe try the feyman technique. It when you try to understand the topic and explain the topic to someone else.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by vesq
Hi,

Don't give up. Keep trying. I hope you look at this as a motivation for year 13 to do well
Original post by vesq
Hi,

Your dreams don't end because of a few bad exams in year 12. You have time to fix things if you truly have the ability to do better. Even without good A level predictions you can delay for a year and apply with great achieved grades if you can turn things around. You need to reflect on what you did to prepare for these exams. If masses of effort was to no avail then what did you do that didn't work? What could you do differently for the future. Biology is notorious for asking questions that require very specific points in the answers. Doing past papers and then studying mark schemes and examiner reports is key to learning what the examiners want from you.
Reply 8
Hello, in my first year 12 biology mock I got an E and then in later mocks I got As and Bs and was predicted an A to put on my UCAS. I did a lot of past paper questions and that really helped. It seems like it's the end of the world but it's really not! Go on https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/ and just do all of the past paper questions per topic you can find for your exam board. Learn the mark schemes by noticing what questions come up regularly and what answers they say are valid for certain questions that come up a lot eg for evaluating graphs OCR often accepts 'correlation does not mean causation' as an answer. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you guys for your advice. I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience in getting bad grades in yr12 mock, fixing up and getting good grades in yr 13 and applying for med/dent. Sorry lost of and. Thank you
Original post by vesq
Thank you guys for your advice. I just wanted to ask if anyone has experience in getting bad grades in yr12 mock, fixing up and getting good grades in yr 13 and applying for med/dent. Sorry lost of and. Thank you

update i fixed up and went from a C to an A (A* prediction on ucas) for one of my subjects.Its possible <3
Reply 11
Yayayay well done :smile: hard work does pay off!
Original post by wueidhfh
update i fixed up and went from a C to an A (A* prediction on ucas) for one of my subjects.Its possible <3

Quick Reply

Latest