The Student Room Group

Master 2:2 or Bachelor 2:1 for PhD

I'm in my 4th year of a 4 year integrated Master degree. I failed one of my exam papers, which bring my score down really low. I get a 2:1 on my 3rd year (equivalent to a BA), but my results for this year will be about 52% which is a 2:2.

So which one is better to get? I can ask for a 2:1 BA, but that means the whole of my master year goes to waste. On the other hand, getting a master 2:2 means I don't have a BA, and have to use 2:2 results to apply for a PhD.
Original post by misa3012
I'm in my 4th year of a 4 year integrated Master degree. I failed one of my exam papers, which bring my score down really low. I get a 2:1 on my 3rd year (equivalent to a BA), but my results for this year will be about 52% which is a 2:2.

So which one is better to get? I can ask for a 2:1 BA, but that means the whole of my master year goes to waste. On the other hand, getting a master 2:2 means I don't have a BA, and have to use 2:2 results to apply for a PhD.

Now this is a very personal decision to make, and you should think very carefully about this.

Firstly, this has both ramifications for Funding and Applications.

For PhD applications, you will likely find most universities require a 2:1 in your degree as a minimum to apply, and at some universities interviews will not be issued without a 1:1.

Now, I am no expert, however after completing an integrated masters you will likely be illegible for funding from the organisation within your region, be that SFE etc. This means that not only will you have a 2:2 MA and be ineligible for most PhD programs. At this point I would HIGHLY recommend you contact your advisor of studies or equivalent person and discuss this with them, however a 2:1 BA might be the better option.
Reply 2
BA 2.1 looks better
But then u have a 1 year gap in your cv

Latest

Trending

Trending