Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    Since your doing English Lit why not try capital letters at the start of sentences?
    *you're.

I do Politics, Law and Philosophy and I agree to a certain extent, they are easier than say Physics or Maths. On the other hand they do require a different kind of learning and they aren't easy to pass if you don't put work in. I don't see why I should be penalised for doing a subject I enjoy and that I am good at. If I was good at science or maths then I would do that instead.

I still have the same amount of homework that a Physics student does, I have to write essays, read articles, do research and all that kind of jazz but it takes time and I do alot of revision for the subjects. It is by no means an easy ride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Oh just shut up. Please. Evidently you're not a fan of essay subjects as you clearly can't construct a decent argument.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but really, just 'cause you hold no regard for humanities, doesn't mean no one else should. Frankly I see a lot more relevance in studying human philosophy and behaviour in history than in hyperbolic trigonometric functions. Doesn't mean everyone has to, it just changes for everyone. I say this as someone who does English Lit, Music, Maths and Further Maths, and I did History last year. Ultimately my honest opinion is if you completely shake off a whole discipline then you're missing out. But again, not true for all by any means.
    That's why I've been studying Spanish at A level and at uni in my spare time. Can't you read?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Since you're trying to belittle an English Lit student why not try accurate grammar?
    HAAAA you blazed him. Well done

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths, Further Maths and Geography, and I do far more work for Geography than both Maths subjects combined.

ReputationRep:
    i'm at oxford and all the piss-heads in my college are humanities people. make what you want of that, but it seems to me like they have more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletStorm)
    Doing the IB I do both science and humanities subjects. I think it is entirely untrue that students of science can easily do humanities subjects and not vice versa. Not everyone can manage a well-written and skilled essay, whereas it is a lot easier to learn scientific facts and simply repeat them.
    i bet you i can read a book and wrte an essay on it. sure i might not get a good grade, but i will probably get SOME marks on it. now, tell a historian to do my tutorial sheet on fourier transforms and i'd give him/her my student loan if they can get 1 mark.

ReputationRep:
    I study Geography (a humanities dominated subject) and Earth Science (obviously a science based subject) and both require the same amount of work and effort.

ReputationRep:
    As a History and Politics student, I'm trying to find a way to disagree with you, but the truth is that you're generally right. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the idea that sciences students are capable of doing humanities subjects as well. Half of them can barely spell. That part is perhaps true at school and maybe even College, but not really at undergraduate level.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to take an exam without doing any work from before, I'd probably do better in a Science/Maths exam rather than Humanities, because for humanities you have to know stuff from before, whereas with Sciences and Maths it's possible to work out some of the answers during the exam itself, and you aren't completely screwed over if you don't remember something.

Like in a maths exam, if you forget the quadratic formula, you can derive it by completing the square, but if you forget which countries were involved in WWII in a history exam... what do you do?

A lot of people say science subjects are more difficult, but it depends what you mean by difficult. Loosely speaking, I think Science subjects require more intelligence and less hard work, and Humanities subjects require more hard work, but less intelligence.

Intelligence can only help you in a Humanity if it has been combined with hard work. And hard work can only help you in a Science if it has been combined with intelligence. But intelligence by itself can hold its own in a science exam. Similarly, hard work by itself can hold its own in a humanities exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    You are ridiculous. How can you say you don't have to think for yourself in sciences. How is anything ever discovered if you just reuse formulae ?
    I am not ridiculous. That in itself is a ridiculous thing to say. I have an opinion, yours is opposed to mine. If you did a humanities subject then you'd understand the basics of a discussion and not retort with immature statements like the above and respect someone else's opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    That's why I've been studying Spanish at A level and at uni in my spare time. Can't you read?
    I can, and funnily enough I can also distinguish between "your" and "you're". Deleting the post doesn't reverse the error.

I think it's good that you're doing languages and not just sciences. In fact I suck at foreign languages. But my point is why hold such contempt for all humanities? Enough so to make a whole bloody thread about it...?! You sincerely don't think there're any benefits to derive from them at all?

(Original post by hazzypants)
    HAAAA you blazed him. Well done
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Since you're trying to belittle an English Lit student why not try accurate grammar?
    Owned :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    As a History and Politics student, I'm trying to find a way to disagree with you, but the truth is that you're generally right. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the idea that sciences students are capable of doing humanities subjects as well. Half of them can barely spell. That part is perhaps true at school and maybe even College, but not really at undergraduate level.
    Nice to see some honesty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    i'm at oxford and all the piss-heads in my college are humanities people. make what you want of that, but it seems to me like they have more time.
    I think humanities people generally get less lectures and coursework because they're mostly expected to do their own work. Since Humanities need a lot of fact memorising, there's no point in having too many lectures or things like that. Whereas science students might have practicals, and they need more lectures because they need to be taught more concepts, and memorise less.

So Humanities students usually have more time, but are expected to work during that time. Unfortunately some just don't

Whereas Science students get less free time. But their free time is actually free time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeGsy)
    I am not ridiculous. That in itself is a ridiculous thing to say. I have an opinion, yours is opposed to mine. If you did a humanities subject then you'd understand the basics of a discussion and not retort with immature statements like the above and respect someone else's opinion.
    ^ This, really. Sorry OP, mate, but if you want ridiculous, just consider the fact that this thread even exists. I prefer humanities to sciences, and personally think sciences are simpler to an extent, but I'd never make a thread about it and try and act as though all others should agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    For me it is clear sciences and maths require more understanding and require more work than for humanities courses. Most people I know who do humanities/social sciences/ 'don't even go there subjects' have much more free time than I do studying physics. They also give you less useful information. For example, how is the information gained in history actually useful, although you may learn certain useful skills. Furthermore, I study Spanish in my spare time - I can't imagine and humanities students being able to learn any maths in their spare time ( and have never come across any humanities students delving into the the world of science). Sciences are also more profitable.

Science students can normally manage to do humanities. Humanities students can't do sciences.
    What uni do you study at ajj?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    I study Spanish you ridiculous pr.ick
    and i was referring to humanities subjects where you actually had to reason, give your own opinion, work out how you feel about something and thus enter into discussion.

"I study Spanish you ridiculous pr.ick" is hardly a retort when you are quite aware that I was referring to your lack of debating skills or ability to respect that you may not have the overuling opinion.

You may have liked to have thought to use another adjective this time...again, you probably don't get to stretch your literary skills in maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    I study Spanish you ridiculous pr.ick
    What is the matter with you? That's completely out of order!
    You're heading for a quick ban here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    why are you trying to make yourself feel better about your subject choice? sciences aren't 'better' than humanities, and humanities aren't 'better' than the sciences.

what a pointless attempt at an ego-boost.
    This.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.