Turn on thread page Beta

Humanities are easier with less work watch

ReputationRep:
    engineers .
    Oh ha-har. Engineers can make cosmetics, medicines, create energy sources, materials for clothes, machines, almost anything etc.
    Don't get me wrong, engineers build aeroplanes/bridges whatever, but they hardly do everything now do they?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no. Humanities require a different kind of work.

ReputationRep:
    Science and maths have always been to me subjects where you learn the straight and narrow, the black and white, the one-dimensional and then simply recounting it on a piece of paper. There is no room for debate or discussion, no room to question it and all in all, seems rather bloody boring actually (sorry if I offend the scientists, but if so many of you on TSR can rip apart Humanities, I can rip apart the Sciences).

Hey, OP, want me to send you over a few Law essays and see how well you manage?

ReputationRep:
    what a horrendously petty thread

ReputationRep:
    It's true that humanities and social science students do less work.

It's not true that they're all only on these courses because they wouldn't be able to hack a science degree, as the OP implies. I don't like to argue from personal example, but I know that I could have done physics, maths or chemistry had i wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    the one-dimensional
    we also deal with hyperspace, you know :rolleyes: .

(Original post by Antonia87)
    There is no room for debate or discussion, no room to question it and all in all
    are you serious? :confused:

to summarise: i can't take you seriously because you sound like a noob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    we also deal with hyperspace, you know :rolleyes: .

are you serious? :confused:

to summarise: i can't take you seriously because you sound like a noob.
    Hey I'm only giving you the same rubbish Humanities' students are usually fed on this forum.

And anyway, don't Science and Mathematics ultimately revolve around facts and figures? How can you debate and/or argue with facts and figures? How can you TWIST facts and figures in order to influence another's way of thinking? You cant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    I dunno, it seems unlikely to be true. University maths as I know it requires hardly any mental arithmetic, and depending on the topic, very very few to only some formulae. Who told you they don't know what they're doing? If they told you themselves I rather suspect they are fibbing.
    Well, I quizzed a couple of them about *why* a certain process/formulae worked and the response I got was "I dunno, it just does. As long as I pass my exam, I don't care".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Well, I quizzed a couple of them about *why* a certain process/formulae worked and the response I got was "I dunno, it just does. As long as I pass my exam, I don't care".
    lol. I say that sometimes but it's almost always because I really can't be bothered with the hassle of explaining something when I know that the explanation is not something a non-mathematician will understand!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no. Humanities require a different kind of work.
    WTF? Was I even talking to you? Have you even read my post - no? Then you'd know that I wasn't necessarily saying that Humanities subjects were worthless but in fact defending the brainwork required for science.

Science and maths have always been to me subjects where you learn the straight and narrow, the black and white, the one-dimensional and then simply recounting it on a piece of paper.
    And anyway, don't Science and Mathematics ultimately revolve around facts and figures? How can you debate and/or argue with facts and figures? How can you TWIST facts and figures in order to influence another's way of thinking? You cant.

...yep, you try explaining something in a thread and all people do is skip through everything and read the last post or just comment their own bias.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.