The Student Room Group

Stressed about GCSE sciences + y10 sets

[deleted]
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miisakii
(I’m so sorry this is so long, I’m really sorry but I don’t know where else to talk about it)
This week at my school, we’re doing the physics, biology and chemistry, maths and English end of year exams. I already did my physics and a non calculator maths exam on Monday , both were foundation and I found it alright, I think that’s because I find physics a little bit easy to understand and the maths paper was relatively easy to understand. So here’s the thing. I REALLY want to become a child psychologist, I’ve read so much about and even if I don’t exactly become a child psychologist, well, I want to have a career in the field of psychology. Now my school has a sixth form, and at this sixth form you do A levels lolol, to do psychology, you just need a 5 in English and 4 in maths and a 5 in any science subject. So I think I will be alright with Psychology A level, I’m also doing textiles A level and things have been going good with textiles. however, a lot of sites says you will also need to do Biology A level? And at this A level at my sixth form, it says “To be accepted
onto this course you must have a minimum of two grade 6s in a dual award Science or a 6 in Biology Single Science with a 6 in another science” which I think means you need to have 6 in two sciences? Please do correct me if I’m wrong. know at this point, maybe, you guys would tell me maybe if I didn’t find the physics so hard, I shouldn’t have to worry for my my biology + chemistry, well I’m stressed and just typing this is making me sob. I have done some revision, but chemistry is scaring the **** out of me. It’s tomorrow on Wednesday and the biology is on Friday. My chemistry teacher did say literally so many people end up doing foundation because higher is hard, and even if they did move you from foundation to higher things could be really hard and there’s a chance youd drop easily end up with a low grade, I’m not even that interested or care about chemistry, but for some reason I’m so scared, I find it so difficult, I feel like my biology matters the most, but what if I fail that too? If I end up doing foundation for biology then I’m maybe doomed, how would I be able to move up sets to do higher paper biology and try to get a grade 6? There’s no way you can get a 6 in foundation since it’s 1-5?? I don’t exactly want to do higher, but it just means I have to in order to be accepted into the A level biology course. I do hope I get higher than these grades, but I’m planning on doing foundation maths and English too (idk if that exactly exists) but my test scores have always been marked with gcse style, either as 2 or +2 for the English yikes, I’m still so confused why I’m not worrying about that the most. Idk what to do, maybe some words to reassure me could help me calm down but I’m so stressed, I know I shouldn’t as I’m still in y9 but I can’t help, has anyone been in my position before maybe? I want to know how it went for you guys so maybe it’ll help me calm down knowing I’m not alone, thank you so much, so sorry if it was so long

i am also in year 9 and i did early gcses for maths and i trick i had for not being stressed was knowing that i did all i could and couldnt no more so it was pointless for me to worry and i just accepted that now so i just now focus on the next goal like the year ten mocks plus dont worry you have plenty of time and mocks/gcses really are overhyped so really there is no need to be stressed just make sure to revise
Reply 2
Original post by TheOzwaz
i am also in year 9 and i did early gcses for maths and i trick i had for not being stressed was knowing that i did all i could and couldnt no more so it was pointless for me to worry and i just accepted that now so i just now focus on the next goal like the year ten mocks plus dont worry you have plenty of time and mocks/gcses really are overhyped so really there is no need to be stressed just make sure to revise

early gcse?? What’s that ?
Original post by miisakii
early gcse?? What’s that ?

basically when instead of doing your gcses in year 11 you do it earlier in my case this year year 9
Why? If you don't get a grade 9 this is a very bad idea.
basically when instead of doing your gcses in year 11 you do it earlier in my case this year year 9
Original post by Muttley79
Why? If you don't get a grade 9 this is a very bad idea.

so i can focus on other things plus im fine with getting a grade 8 also the grade boundries are lower so for once i am hopeful
(edited 1 year ago)
We know nothing about the grade boundaries - they could be higher because of the advance info especially in Maths.

I guess this is a private school because it has a massive impact on DfE performance tables taking GCSE Maths in KS3.
so i can focus on other things plus im fine with getting a grade 8 also the grade boundries are lower so for once i am hopeful
We know nothing about the grade boundaries - they could be higher because of the advance info especially in Maths.

I guess this is a private school because it has a massive impact on DfE performance tables taking GCSE Maths in KS3.

what is DfE performance tables taking GCSE Maths in KS3.

what is a DfE performance tables taking GCSE Maths in KS3.
also the questions in edexcel apart from the exception of one or two the rest were fairly easy and no its a public school they said if i dont get a grade 8 i have to resit but if i do get grade 8 i would just do gcse further maths
what is a DfE performance tables taking GCSE Maths in KS3.
also the questions in edexcel apart from the exception of one or two the rest were fairly easy and no its a public school they said if i dont get a grade 8 i have to resit but if i do get grade 8 i would just do gcse further maths

A public school is an Independent school ... so do you mean a state school?

Every state school is measured for the progress students make - if you don't get a grade 9 it will be lower thatn it could have been. The grade you get HAS to go on UCAS even if you resit. Ofsted will take a dim view of sitting GCSEs in Year 9 ... I teach in a selective school and we stopped early entry years ago because maximising grade 9s is important for students.
A public school is an Independent school ... so do you mean a state school?

Every state school is measured for the progress students make - if you don't get a grade 9 it will be lower thatn it could have been. The grade you get HAS to go on UCAS even if you resit. Ofsted will take a dim view of sitting GCSEs in Year 9 ... I teach in a selective school and we stopped early entry years ago because maximising grade 9s is important for students.

I meant state schools but honestly i am ok with that me not getting a grade 9 but i dont wish to come across as overconfident but i am fairly sure that i would get a grade 9 .And about the early gcse i did i told the school that i was getting bored in maths as the content wasnt challening enough and they agreed as long ass i got grade 8 .But i dont really have an academic plan for the future as i want to go into sports which is why i go to Barking Abbey so it doesnt really bother me as a grade 8 is still quite good
I meant state schools but honestly i am ok with that me not getting a grade 9 but i dont wish to come across as overconfident but i am fairly sure that i would get a grade 9 .And about the early gcse i did i told the school that i was getting bored in maths as the content wasnt challening enough and they agreed as long ass i got grade 8 .But i dont really have an academic plan for the future as i want to go into sports which is why i go to Barking Abbey so it doesnt really bother me as a grade 8 is still quite good

There are loads of other things your school could have done - UKMT challenges or get you a UKMT mentor to challenge you. None of our students are bored in Maths ... there's so much to explore.
There are loads of other things your school could have done - UKMT challenges or get you a UKMT mentor to challenge you. None of our students are bored in Maths ... there's so much to explore.

i have done ukmt before and a friend of mine got gold so he got a tutor. Personally I think doing early gcses was quite fun
i have done ukmt before and a friend of mine got gold so he got a tutor. Personally I think doing early gcses was quite fun

Fun but not a good idea - what about NRICH website? Reading books by someone like Rob Eastaway. UKMT have a lot of great books; they advise against acceleration too.

UKMT provide mentors not tutors ... if you do well in the IMC you might get invited to a National Summer school.
Fun but not a good idea - what about NRICH website? Reading books by someone like Rob Eastaway. UKMT have a lot of great books; they advise against acceleration too.

UKMT provide mentors not tutors ... if you do well in the IMC you might get invited to a National Summer school.

what is the IMC
what is the IMC

I thought you said you'd done UKMT challenges? Intermediate Maths Challenge: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/imc

You could have sat it this year.
I thought you said you'd done UKMT challenges? Intermediate Maths Challenge: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/imc

You could have sat it this year.

have you heard about something called the southhampton math challenge
Yes but it's far less prestigious.
have you heard about something called the southhampton math challenge
Yes but it's far less prestigious.

its quite nice me and my younger brothers do it.
Would it be possible for me to start studying for A level Mathematics or at leasts gcse further maths
its quite nice me and my younger brothers do it.
Would it be possible for me to start studying for A level Mathematics or at leasts gcse further maths

No I wouldn't - acceleration is not recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest