How much science is actually in psychology?

Watch this thread
shortboichicken
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I should be going into sixth form this year and Im comfortable with my other chose subjects (english language, Re and sociology) but im getting pretty stressed about the amount of biology in psychology as Im not the greatest at biology. Can anyone tell me how much biology is actually in it and whether ill struggle? feel free to also give any advice for 6th form or the other subjects as a whole, thank you very much <3
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hello!
I found biology hard at GCSE (got a 6/6 in combined), but I find the biology in psychology entirely manageable, as you’re taught everything as if you’ve never heard of biology before.
The topic called biopsychology (which you study more in depth in your second year), is obviously predominantly biology, and it is tricky, but its manageable and it gets taught well (or at least thats the experience ive had)

All you tend to really do for the other topics is genes, neurotransmitters, hormones, things like that, and you dont need maaaaaasive amounts of detail for those sorts of things, so they are easy to get your head around.

Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have about psychology
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shortboichicken)
I should be going into sixth form this year and Im comfortable with my other chose subjects (english language, Re and sociology) but im getting pretty stressed about the amount of biology in psychology as Im not the greatest at biology. Can anyone tell me how much biology is actually in it and whether ill struggle? feel free to also give any advice for 6th form or the other subjects as a whole, thank you very much <3
It's not that much really, you'll be fine.

I think at degree level, you need at least one 60 credit module that is science/biology based and that can be considerably more biological based, but it's also fascinating to study the brain at the microscopic level and I think it's a crucial part of psychology.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends a lot where you study it, really. All psychology degrees will include at least some scientific content due to BPS accreditation requirements. Some departments are very heavy on the science side of things though (e.g. UCL, Oxbridge, KCL) while others focus more on other aspects e.g. clinical or the social side of things etc. If you're in one of the latter courses that just includes the amount needed for the BPS accreditation then it's probably not unbearable as above - but you might want to avoid courses that fall into the former category!
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by shortboichicken)
shortboichicken
Hello, I've just finished my MSc in Psychology

At that level there is not a lot of science in terms of experimentation, it is best framing the idea around 'positivism' which is the idea of using scientific methods to measure things which is quite different to peoples typical idea of 'science' (a lab, test tubes, bunsen burners etc.) The sciency bit of Psychology is neuropsychology which is heavily linked to biology which you mainly start at degree level. Things like statistical analysis which you mainly start at degree level and really dive into at masters level would also come under positivism

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (66)
69.47%
In the post (3)
3.16%
Text (13)
13.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.68%

Watched Threads