Is access to ved med actually even possible as mature student from nothing ?

Watch this thread
noodlesky
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So maybe I'm being a little deluded but I've got a few questions.
Is it really realistic for anyone to go into medicine from really nothing as a mature student ?

I was looking at access courses and found one near me for access Access to HE Veterinary Science and Zoology.
I feel like the access courses are more geared to people already with existing GCSEs however , the problem I have is I didn't sit any of the exams due to being ill at that time in my life, I'm now 31.

I know the universities require you to have all distinctions for the access course , but also 5 GCSEs at A including the sciences and this is where I'm stumped.

I assume I can self teach and take the exams as a private candidate for the maths, English and I guess I need one more so was thinking psychology? But the most important is the sciences obviously, so would that be the combined one or biology and chemistry seperately? However I assume all of these require practicals ? So how does that work when no college offers these subjects for adults ?

Would love to hear from any mature students who have done access courses , especially those that did not have the GCSEs originally.
TheMixedVet
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
I have heard of private resit candidates being able to do the practicals at centres that offer resits - Obviously this would come at a cost but could potentially be a workaround.

Your best bet would be contacting the universities directly and seeing what they suggest. A non-typical application may be allowed non-typical requirements, you don't know if you don't ask.
louisvbird
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by noodlesky)
So maybe I'm being a little deluded but I've got a few questions.
Is it really realistic for anyone to go into medicine from really nothing as a mature student ?

I was looking at access courses and found one near me for access Access to HE Veterinary Science and Zoology.
I feel like the access courses are more geared to people already with existing GCSEs however , the problem I have is I didn't sit any of the exams due to being ill at that time in my life, I'm now 31.

I know the universities require you to have all distinctions for the access course , but also 5 GCSEs at A including the sciences and this is where I'm stumped.

I assume I can self teach and take the exams as a private candidate for the maths, English and I guess I need one more so was thinking psychology? But the most important is the sciences obviously, so would that be the combined one or biology and chemistry seperately? However I assume all of these require practicals ? So how does that work when no college offers these subjects for adults ?

Would love to hear from any mature students who have done access courses , especially those that did not have the GCSEs originally.
Hiya - mature student from Nottingham here.

I suggest you contact the university admissions and ask if they are more lenient for mature students as I found that they are. You'll find Nottingham consider Access students for the Preliminary Year with just a B/C in Maths and English, respectively. Additionally I remember RVC and some others are more lenient with GCSEs for mature students so contact all the admissions departments of the unis you're interested in and make a list of their individual requirements so you can plan to try to meet them.

Next: if you still don't meet the reduced mature student requirements, many colleges offer 'evening class' GCSEs alongside the Access courses (or even daytime GCSE courses I've heard) so it'd be worth enquiring at college about whether or not you can do them alongside your Access Course. You should just need Maths and English which will be available at every Level 3 college, but if you shop around you'll definitely be able to find some that offer other GCSEs (if it does turn out that you need them).

One more thing to note: check that Access to Veterinary Science and Zoology is actually widely accepted. When I was applying, I found that an overwhelming majority of the vet schools preferred Access to Science so you might have more freedom to apply to more vet schools if you do this.

I'm a mature student who got into vet school with zero GCSEs at A grade (all Bs and under). I did the Nottingham Prelim Year and I'm now entering Year Two of the BVM BVS course. If you have any more questions pop me a message.
Last edited by louisvbird; 1 week ago
Millicent.Rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by louisvbird)
Hiya - mature student from Nottingham here.

I suggest you contact the university admissions and ask if they are more lenient for mature students as I found that they are. You'll find Nottingham consider Access students for the Preliminary Year with just a B/C in Maths and English, respectively. Additionally I remember RVC and some others are more lenient with GCSEs for mature students so contact all the admissions departments of the unis you're interested in and make a list of their individual requirements so you can plan to try to meet them.

Next: if you still don't meet the reduced mature student requirements, many colleges offer 'evening class' GCSEs alongside the Access courses (or even daytime GCSE courses I've heard) so it'd be worth enquiring at college about whether or not you can do them alongside your Access Course. You should just need Maths and English which will be available at every Level 3 college, but if you shop around you'll definitely be able to find some that offer other GCSEs (if it does turn out that you need them).

One more thing to note: check that Access to Veterinary Science and Zoology is actually widely accepted. When I was applying, I found that an overwhelming majority of the vet schools preferred Access to Science so you might have more freedom to apply to more vet schools if you do this.

I'm a mature student who got into vet school with zero GCSEs at A grade (all Bs and under). I did the Nottingham Prelim Year and I'm now entering Year Two of the BVM BVS course. If you have any more questions pop me a message.
Hiya! Sorry to jump in on this thread, I'm new to TSR & I feel I am in a similar position to both of you.

To give some background, I have always had a huge love and interest in science, smashed my GCSEs and then went to sixth form. I found that I was burnt out (I was taking bio, chem and maths) and ended up leaving sixth form without a levels to do an apprenticeship in accounting. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with science and thought uni wasn't right for me at the time.

4 years down the line, I'm AAT level 4 qualified and I have come to realisation over the past 4 years that this is not what I want to do. I have decided to take the leap, leave my job as an accountant and become patient admin in a local hospital and take an access course in animal science at NTU Brackenhurst. I have always had a love for animals (cliche I know ) and have experienced situations with my pets having to go to the vets which has sparked my love and interest in the subject. Its something I have a deep passion for.

I am looking to go to Uni of Nottm vet school & apply for the preliminary year. Due to personal circumstances, I am unable to apply to other universities which narrows my scope. I also have no work experiance as of yet in vet med, however I do have some lined up in the next few weeks.

I am worried that due to my lack of work experiance I will not be accepted on the course, and with such a small amount of spaces on the course I am worrying about the competition to get a space on the course and the other candidates I may be going up against. Do you have any tips for me?

I have literally thrown everything into this and want to give myself the best chance and would love some advice from someone who has gotten into tt in a similar way I'd like to!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Millicent.Rose; 1 day ago
EmilyClarke24
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 minute ago
(Original post by Millicent.Rose)
Hiya! Sorry to jump in on this thread, I'm new to TSR & I feel I am in a similar position to both of you.

To give some background, I have always had a huge love and interest in science, smashed my GCSEs and then went to sixth form. I found that I was burnt out (I was taking bio, chem and maths) and ended up leaving sixth form without a levels to do an apprenticeship in accounting. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with science and thought uni wasn't right for me at the time.

4 years down the line, I'm AAT level 4 qualified and I have come to realisation over the past 4 years that this is not what I want to do. I have decided to take the leap, leave my job as an accountant and become patient admin in a local hospital and take an access course in animal science at NTU Brackenhurst. I have always had a love for animals (cliche I know ) and have experienced situations with my pets having to go to the vets which has sparked my love and interest in the subject. Its something I have a deep passion for.

I am looking to go to Uni of Nottm vet school & apply for the preliminary year. Due to personal circumstances, I am unable to apply to other universities which narrows my scope. I also have no work experiance as of yet in vet med, however I do have some lined up in the next few weeks.

I am worried that due to my lack of work experiance I will not be accepted on the course, and with such a small amount of spaces on the course I am worrying about the competition to get a space on the course and the other candidates I may be going up against. Do you have any tips for me?

I have literally thrown everything into this and want to give myself the best chance and would love some advice from someone who has gotten into tt in a similar way I'd like to!

Thanks in advance!
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at the uni of Nottingham.

I think that you are going about everything in the right way and getting whatever work experience etc will only help. It is also clear that you have a love for animals and are very passionate about your course so just make sure that shines through in any application or interview.
Also, I would focus on the little things (hobbies or skills) outside the course that make you unique and stand out from any other potential applicant.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about the uni just let me know,
Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (15)
28.85%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (25)
48.08%
First aid skills (2)
3.85%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.92%
Sign language (8)
15.38%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.92%

Watched Threads