The Student Room Group

Realistic Oxford candidate?

Hi everyone, just wondering if it is realistic for me to apply to Oxford (and possibly St Andrews)

Subject: English Literature
Predicted grades: A*A*A
Other subjects: modern history and law
GCSEs: 999999998
Extra curricular: HE+ programme, Oxford Exeter+ Programme, setting up a book club

I am considering an EPQ, essay competition or a MOOC to boost my application. Which do you think would be necessary? I’m quite aware I don’t have many extra-curriculars.
Brutal honesty is much appreciated. Thanks 😊
Original post by Ell05
Hi everyone, just wondering if it is realistic for me to apply to Oxford (and possibly St Andrews)

Yes, it is.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, it is.

Thankyou. Do you have any tips for strengthening my application? :smile:
Reply 3
Tagging @Oxford Mum here!
(edited 1 year ago)
What do your teachers think? They are best to advise you.
Original post by Ell05
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
What do your teachers think? They are best to advise you.

Thats my issue- my teachers are saying different things regarding an EPQ, one saying it will be too much alongside other coursework subjects and the other saying it shows important skills for university :s-smilie:
I don’t mind doing an EPQ, but my teacher has told me it isn’t important for my university application as I’m already doing essay subjects. (My other teacher disagrees!)
Original post by Ell05

Extra curricular: HE+ programme, Oxford Exeter+ Programme, setting up a book club

I am considering an EPQ, essay competition or a MOOC to boost my application. Which do you think would be necessary? I’m quite aware I don’t have many extra-curriculars.

Your GCSEs and predicted grades are more than fine, doing things like EPQs or essay competitions are good to show your passion in your subject and work ethic but the most important thing is to make sure you have enough time to focus on your A Levels. I would say if you want to make an application stand out, show your passion for your subject, whether that's through doing an EPQ, or reading novels and short stories by authors that you wouldn't encounter on the A Level syllabus. The most important thing is that it challenges you in an enjoyable way, as at the end of the day what Oxford(and all top unis) are looking for is evidence that you love your subject and go above and beyond to further your knowledge and understanding.
Reply 7
Original post by benjjjjy
Your GCSEs and predicted grades are more than fine, doing things like EPQs or essay competitions are good to show your passion in your subject and work ethic but the most important thing is to make sure you have enough time to focus on your A Levels. I would say if you want to make an application stand out, show your passion for your subject, whether that's through doing an EPQ, or reading novels and short stories by authors that you wouldn't encounter on the A Level syllabus. The most important thing is that it challenges you in an enjoyable way, as at the end of the day what Oxford(and all top unis) are looking for is evidence that you love your subject and go above and beyond to further your knowledge and understanding.

Thankyou thats really helpful
Original post by Ell05
Thats my issue- my teachers are saying different things regarding an EPQ, one saying it will be too much alongside other coursework subjects and the other saying it shows important skills for university :s-smilie:
I don’t mind doing an EPQ, but my teacher has told me it isn’t important for my university application as I’m already doing essay subjects. (My other teacher disagrees!)

No I meant do they think you are a realistic applicant
Original post by Ell05

Hi there Ell, how are you?

Your grades are really great and good enough for Oxford. However, grades are just the starting point. Looking at the Oxford thread over the last two years, there are a lot of excellent people who apply, who do not get an offer. This does not mean you should not apply! One sure way of it getting into Oxford is not applying…

The one thing Oxford will be looking at is flair, rather than how well read you are ( quantity rather than quality). It’s about reading the classics, yes but really looking at the book in depth, really feeling it when you have put your book down for the evening. Reflect on what you have read and analyse it. Look at poetry and analyse that, as if you get an interview chances are you will need to talk about a poem or passage you will be given just before or at the interview. My son went for German and even he was given an English poem to analyse ( maybe because about 85 percent of it is literature). Son still analyses everything we watch, from tv shows to the theatre. He sums up characters, talks of plot holes, continuity errors etc. It’s so much more fun watching say morse with him than alone. Try doing this type of critique.

Also I would imagine that another important thing is how you express yourself on paper and in conversation. To show you what I mean, when I get the chance I will post both the Oxford and Cambridge demystified English chapters. The Oxford one gives great help regarding the personal statement and the Cambridge accounts are really interesting and engaging too.

As for the epq you don’t have to do one if you don’t want to. However I urge you, in your spare time to look into a literary period or genre that interests you and focus on that to show self directed study.

Bye for now…
Reply 10
Original post by Ell05

You could do a MOOC in less time than an EPQ.
Not saying don't do an EPQ but they are quite a bit of work if you want to do well and get a good grade.
Original post by Ell05

Brutal honesty....there is nothing there which would disadvantage you. You have pretty much perfect GCSE grades, very good predictions and more extra curricular than the average person. Not really sure why you are asking - what do you not have that you think a strong Oxford candidate has? I think it's important you feel confident in your achievements if you apply to Oxford; rejection can hurt and can happen to amazing candidates, I do think there is a bit of a role of the dice with applications.

An EPQ is not needed but if you feel you would enjoy it, go for it. Would recommend an essay competition, but again you already have some very good extracurriculars. Maybe you could set up a website for your book club and write reviews, or make posts on points of interest. In your PS you could do a brief paragraph on recent books you have reviewed or areas of English Lit you have researched - be prepared, they may spring a question on you at interview.

Look into the ELAT. Ultimately, the entry test will be one of the most important features of your application. Perhaps do some practices over the summer (I assume you are applying this September/October?) so you have a good basis when you sit it.
(edited 1 year ago)
If you aren't a realistic applicant for Oxford I suspect there may not be any at all...
Original post by Ell05

Read more books. You don't need MOOCS etc, you need to read as much literature as you can and then think critically about it, compare, contrast, wonder why and find out etc.
Original post by Ell05

I studied English at Oxford and have written quite a few answers advising students in a similar position to yours: perhaps check them out through my profile!

Your grades are certainly strong enough to make a competitive application, and I think that -- provided your ELAT goes to plan -- you're very likely to get an interview.

I don't think having an EPQ or MOOC in and of itself will help your application, although it could provide you with very good material to discuss at interview. Doing well at an essay competition might communicate to the Professors you're a good writer, but you can show this with your submitted work and by achieving a solid ELAT score. Your A-Levels and wider reading are the main priorities.

My first top tip for Oxford English applicants, aside from extra-curricular reading, is to practice for the ELAT by looking closely at the sample answers provided on the website. Don't use the essays as a model, but try to focus on what are the key components of a strong answer. in my experience, this involves a cohesive essay structure and a clear, simple focus. This helps to ensure you get an interview. Some people go off and memorize every type of poetic form and read books on critical approaches. I never did this but it might be helpful: if it doesn't help you then there's no need to do it.

The second is to read widely but deeply, as has been said here. Try and read texts from a range of genres and periods, and if you find any you particularly like, deep dive into those by focusing on your favorite quotes or an idea that resonates with you. You may follow this up by watching a lecture, listening to a podcast or reading an article -- or even a good editions' introduction (often a treasure trove) -- to develop your ideas on the text/s further: are you sure you understood the text accurately? Do you agree with some conclusions about the texts more than others? Why does your reading matter, and what are the knotty confusing bits that are fun to pick through?

But also read mindfully and strategically. Perhaps view it as creating your own, self-led MOOC. Eg. based on what I know now, what would be the next thing to read/ watch that is relevant and develops my ideas? (this is how you'll think at Oxford) Am I being too ambitious? Do I need to read 2 more novels by Virginia Woolf if I'm less passionate about them and am happy with the 2 I already know? Would I be happier focusing on a new topic, like vapours in Venus and Adonis? The goal is to make a few (perhaps 3-4?) mini EPQs, if you like, for your personal statement and likely your interview. That really only looks like 5-10 texts on your statement for most people, with the rest in your mind to bring up at interview. I mentioned 20 texts on my personal statement and sorely regretted it because I knew some well and others were more ancillary material that I could have brought in to discuss texts I was passionate about. Instead, I risked the ancillary texts becoming the focus of the interview! I only ended up discussing 3-4 texts per interview. Someone else I knew at Oxford had 3 texts on her personal statement: more is not always better!

Finally, and importantly, do your best to see Oxford as just 1 university that offers a stellar education in English. Many applicants get so caught up in whether or not they'll get in, or whether they reach the standards of a superb but frankly overhyped institution, that they get very stressed comparing themselves to an unhealthy, unattainable ideal. There was someone brilliant on my course who read 60 books per year alongside her A-Levels, but she was in the minority. While it is true that reading more often results in a better reader with better intuitions (which come from practice and research more than 'natural ability'), don't think that you must have 30 texts you can expertly talk about with quotes at the drop of a hat. Most Oxford English graduates can't do that, apart from maybe during the last stretch of Finals. Just try and read broadly in a way that excites you, and at a pace that pushes you but is still sensible and enjoyable. Slow, deep reading is a skill in its own right, so give yourself enough time!

DM me if you have any questions or concerns! I enjoy speaking to students about their interests in literature.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
Read more books. You don't need MOOCS etc, you need to read as much literature as you can and then think critically about it, compare, contrast, wonder why and find out etc.

Yes I call this post reading reflection "Oxford thoughts".
Original post by Confusedboutlife
I studied English at Oxford and have written quite a few answers advising students in a similar position to yours: perhaps check them out through my profile!

Your grades are certainly strong enough to make a competitive application, and I think that -- provided your ELAT goes to plan -- you're very likely to get an interview.

I don't think having an EPQ or MOOC in and of itself will help your application, although it could provide you with very good material to discuss at interview. Doing well at an essay competition might communicate to the Professors you're a good writer, but you can show this with your submitted work and by achieving a solid ELAT score. Your A-Levels and wider reading are the main priorities.

My first top tip for Oxford English applicants, aside from extra-curricular reading, is to practice for the ELAT by looking closely at the sample answers provided on the website. Don't use the essays as a model, but try to focus on what are the key components of a strong answer. in my experience, this involves a cohesive essay structure and a clear, simple focus. This helps to ensure you get an interview. Some people go off and memorize every type of poetic form and read books on critical approaches. I never did this but it might be helpful: if it doesn't help you then there's no need to do it.

The second is to read widely but deeply, as has been said here. Try and read texts from a range of genres and periods, and if you find any you particularly like, deep dive into those by focusing on your favorite quotes or an idea that resonates with you. You may follow this up by watching a lecture, listening to a podcast or reading an article -- or even a good editions' introduction (often a treasure trove) -- to develop your ideas on the text/s further: are you sure you understood the text accurately? Do you agree with some conclusions about the texts more than others? Why does your reading matter, and what are the knotty confusing bits that are fun to pick at?

But also read mindfully and strategically. Perhaps view it as creating your own, self-led MOOC. Eg. based on what I know now, what would be the next thing to read/ watch that is relevant and develops my ideas? (this is how you'll think at Oxford) Am I being too ambitious? Do I need to read 2 more novels by Virginia Woolf if I'm less passionate about them and am happy with the 2 I already know? Would I be happier focusing on a new topic, like vapours in Venus and Adonis? The goal is to make a few (perhaps 3-4?) mini EPQs, if you like, for your personal statement and likely your interview. That really only looks like 5-10 texts on your statement for most people, with the rest in your mind to bring up at interview. I mentioned 20 texts on my personal statement and sorely regretted it because I knew some well and others were more ancillary material that I could have brought in to discuss texts I was passionate about. Instead, I risked the ancillary texts becoming the focus of the interview!

Finally, and importantly, do your best to see Oxford as just 1 university that offers a stellar education in English. Many applicants get so caught up in whether or not they'll get in, or whether they reach the standards of a superb but frankly overhyped institution, that they get very stressed comparing themselves to an unhealthy, unattainable ideal. There was someone brilliant on my course who read 60 books per year alongside her A-Levels, but she was in the minority. While it is true that reading more often results in a better reader with better intuitions (which come from practice and research more than 'natural ability'), don't think that you must have 30 texts you can expertly talk about with quotes at the drop of a hat, apart from maybe during their Finals. Most Oxford English graduates can't do that. Just try and read broadly in a way that excites you, and at a pace that pushes you but is still sensible. Slow, deep reading is a skill in its own right, so give yourself enough time!

DM me if you have any questions or concerns! I enjoy speaking to students about their interests in literature.

This brilliant post deserves several reps. My son (German) knew the degree was largely literature based and focused on one novel in particular, "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" by Goethe. The main protagonist commits suicide as he falls in love with a happily married woman. The only other focus he has is nature, which makes him glad to be alive. As you may expect from a poet, the nature descriptions are awesome.

My son really became emotionally invested in Werther, and almost saw him as a real person. When he declared his love for Lotte, he was actually shouting at him over the page. When he finally killed himself, he really cried. The nature descriptions were so lovely, he started to go on walks round the village to help him appreciate nature, a habit he still pursues today in local parks, stately home gardens, etc. He mentioned why he loved the book on his PS and his village walks. This probably looked quite unique to the tutors, as they actually got someone who was doing a PHD on suicides in literature at another college to conduct the interview. Both son and interviewer(s) had such a good time with Werther, she forgot the time and there was a queue outside the interview. Later on he went to visit the college chapel. When he got out, lo and behold, there was the interviewer, and they just carried on chatting about Werther.

When it comes to literature, my advice to OP is "find your passion". I feel the same way about Thackeray's "Vanity Fair" and I even use it as a life guide. It's amazing how little society and human nature has changed since the 19th century.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending