Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After seeing numerous films where the protagonist, who has sometimes shown technical incompetence throughout the film, manages to hot-wire a car and drive off into the sunset I began to wonder whether most people are aware of how to hot-wire a car.

Do you know how to?

(I'm posting this in General Discussion since posting it in the Motoring forum will make the results even more skewed (a student forum is hardly an accurate representation anyway).)

No, but I know how to boil an egg:

Let’s start off with a word about eggs - it pays to buy a good quality, free range egg. You can taste the difference. Freshness is also important. Funnily enough, if you have chickens of your own, leave the eggs to sit for 2 days before using them for boiled eggs. If the egg is too fresh, the egg white will have a funny consistency. To test your eggs for freshness, just put them in a glass full of water. If they sink to the bottom, they are fresh. If the round end floats up a bit, it’s still fine, but not fresh. If it comes up to the surface, bin it.

Take a saucepan, fill it with water so that the water will cover your egg(s), and bring the water to a boil. Take a needle and make a small hole into the round end of the egg.

Now turn your hob down a bit so that the water stops boiling. Put your egg(s) into the water and start your timer. Anything from 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size of your egg - you have to experiment a bit with how you like your egg and get an eye for what size will require what length of boiling.

Leave the hob on low - you want to have a water temperature of around 85 degrees celsius - this will prevent the egg yolk from congealing - we want it nice and runny. If your temperature is too high, the egg white won’t be nice and firm and the yolk will be waxy.

When the cooking time is up, take your egg(s) out of the water and hold them under running cold water for about 10 seconds. This will help with the peeling of the shell and also stop the cooking process inside the egg.

Eat your boiled egg with strips of buttered toast (soldiers) - delicious!

ReputationRep:
    I do not.

i do but not one with an immobiliser.

oh and can i remind people not to post how to do it

ReputationRep:
    I read an online guide once out of interest, but didn't risk it on my dad's old banger because of the risks of being shocked!

Maybe some day I'll get the courage to do it for real, that's where the real buzz lies!

ReputationRep:
    hm I used to because my dad showed me once
    I've forgotten now though unfortunatly, from the little I do remember though I think it just involves cutting some wires and then sparking them together again in a different way
    I really should get on to learning that again. I mean, it could come in handy lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well at least my own car. Probably won't work on really modern cars with the If key is present ignition system.

ReputationRep:
    Vaguely, my father does but has never gone into detail about it with me incase I do the same things he did as a youth

ReputationRep:
    No, but I can pick a 4 pin tumbler lock .

ReputationRep:
    What did Jeremy Clarkson do on TopGear tonight? I wasn't paying attention, but I know he started Richard Hammond's car without a key.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Being, like many students, a professional car thief, I do indeed know how to hotwire a car.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

(Original post by Indievertigo)
    What did Jeremy Clarkson do on TopGear tonight? I wasn't paying attention, but I know he started Richard Hammond's car without a key.
    thats to do with a new keyless drive system, it just needs the key to be within proximity of the car. which is why it stopped in the middle of the road; out of range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    I believe the ignition button worked because Hammond was within range of the key fob - that's why he said something about not knowing how far away he could drive it before it went out of range...

ReputationRep:
    You just rub those two wires together, I saw it in a film once and films are always realistic.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo!
    But try the question on YOUTUBE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    thats to do with a new keyless drive system, it just needs the key to be within proximity of the car. which is why it stopped in the middle of the road; out of range.
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    I believe the ignition button worked because Hammond was within range of the key fob - that's why he said something about not knowing how far away he could drive it before it went out of range...
    :rofl: Genius, had me laughing, so I doubt the US state department are going to be all that happy with them!

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried it, but without immobilisers I could figure out how to do it. Wouldn't help much with a steering lock though!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But then I used to fit car alarms for a living.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the principle, but not really how to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.