The Student Room Group

Outfit for a photo shoot

Little bit of advice needed! I'm really close to my Dad, and last Christmas his wife bought a gift card for a professional photograph session. I hate having my picture taken but it has been paid for already and it runs out this month, so within the next week or so, we're going to have the photos done.

I'm not the most photogenic person (and they don't do airbrushing unfortunately!) and am not confident with my looks/size at all, so I'm not looking forward to it really, but I'm doing it for my Dad and obviously would like the nicest possible pictures since they're likely to be shipped out to various relatives! So, the question is.. what do I wear?

I prefer to be a little bit dressy than in combats or jeans and a t-shirt, but am not sure if a formal dress will look like I'm trying too hard? My Dad will probably wear a shirt and trousers as usual, so I could get away with reasonably smart. I'd be really grateful if you could offer any suggestions!

I've got blonde hair, blue eyes, light tan, and am a size 14.. something slimming would be good (so I'm thinking black). I'm also not that confident about the tops of my arms, so nothing strapless ideally!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:
I'm thinking a jumper with a blouse underneath, smart jeans/plain trousers & flats? :smile:
Thanks for the advice! Not a fan of layering personally (ie jumper and blouse) as it makes me feel bigger and bulkier..and I'd wear heels (unless it's a bare-foot photoshoot which I know some are because of shoes damaging the studio).

Any other suggestions?
Reply 3
I understand your pain- I'm not photogenic either. and although your size 14 isn't fat, dark smart trousers, preferable bootleg cut with smart shoes, and a nice patterned shirt or jersy dress will be nicely slimming and will help you look smart but not overly fancy. Hope this helps!
Reply 4
a dress?
Reply 5
I'm useless with clothing advice, but I would wear a dress. Maybe a tea dress; knee length, little sleeves etc. With some thick black tights and a black cardi and then a waist belt over the top.
Reply 7
I think black tights, with black heels.. that will make your legs look longer and slim.

And perhaps some other clothes would be good lol ... hmmm ...
I think maybe just a dress that comes just above your knees, with a thickish black waist belt, I'm thinking a blue dress.. dunno why, just think it will look good on you.

And a black crop cardy or shrug (If you do a a sleeveless dress) ..

Hope I've helped xxx
Reply 8
Oh and I do photo retouching.. check out my link in my sig

I'm a size 14 too and I have this dress (the purple one). It is gorgeously slimming, hugs all the right places and gives a good figure. Nice with tights.

OP if you go for this one I think it'll suit you! Although if you're blonde the teal one might work better :smile:
Reply 10
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_66152_713560_-1

I think that dress would suit you, wear it with black tights and black shiny heels to make your legs look longer.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_66152_686950_-1

This one is also nice and would suit blonde-blue eyes
wear it with either black tights and black shoes or black tights and shiny red killer heels :smile:

I hope you and your Dad enjoy yourselves, have a fab time and HAVE FUN, because you will look amazing in everything :smile:
Thanks for your suggestions so far! I think I'm going to wear something black (or dark at least). My Dad has spoken to the photography place and all shoots are done barefoot.. which rules out heels! Annoying seeing as I'm only 5'5 and the extra height gives me a bit more confidence! I'm not too keen on wearing tights without having heels on, so it looks like I'm going bare legged or with trousers.

I've seen this dress which I really like though. What do you think?
http://www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=214449
The one you've picked is nice, go for some of those slimming pants though (I do, and I'm a size 10, hehe) and some thick black tights (hello leg length and skinniness!)
Oh, and nice jewelery will set the outfit off perfectly, too =)
But the bitch is it's handwash only :/
Also, I love the Laura Ashley dress, and every single thing suggested by Little.Miss.Vicky... Best of luck with it! Show us the piccies when they're done? :biggrin:
EDIT: Can't you just stand on tiptoes?
Tights look classy, and are warm. Unless oyu have nice legs, I'm paranoid about mine :tongue:
Thanks! I have a Spanx type thing from La Senza which I'll hoist myself in to! And also take some nice plain black tights so I have the option, I was just worried in case my feet get in to the picture.. I hate tights without shoes on (weird I know).
Not too worried about it being handwash only.. I have a little washing fairy who I affectionately know as 'Mummy'! hehe! I'll show the photos when they're done, I don't like having my photos taken but hopefully they come out OK!
tea_cakes
I'm useless with clothing advice, but I would wear a dress. Maybe a tea dress; knee length, little sleeves etc. With some thick black tights and a black cardi and then a waist belt over the top.

:yep: A tea dress with a black cardigan, wooly tights and a pair of boots :smile:
Reply 15
I wore jeans and generally looked like a right scruff on my family photoshoot but I didn't know what else to wear :o: nowadays they tend to set the photos to a white background so I'd avoid wearing anything white/pastels.

Latest