Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am thinking of doing Media Production at DMU and have gotten an offer from them.
    I now need to think about accommodation... I am unsure which place to go for accommodation.

I am thinking about
    Newarke Point
    New Wharf
    Bede Hall
    Grosverior House
    Liberty Park

Please can I get any views about them. thxs

ReputationRep:
    DMU is not good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    DMU is not good
    The course I have seen at DMU is very good however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    DMU is not good
    Wow, insightful stuff there.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any infomation about accomidation at DMU then???

ReputationRep:
    I'm at DMU at the moment, so here's a short lowdown on all of the halls I've seen:

Grosvenor house: I'm in this hall. It's quite a nice place but right on the side of a busy, main road. Which means if your room is at the front of the building you're gonna be hearing traffic noises all throughout the day and night till about 2amish. You do get used to the noise though.

The actual rooms are pretty decent; you get a massive noticeboard. It's like, 3 times the size of everyone elses in other halls. And the bathrooms are pretty good too. The kitchens are also fairly good, but you get hardly any cupboard space.

It's one of the best halls for where it's positioned; only a 5-10 minute walk from both the city centre and campus. The rent is also reasonable compared to the other halls with ensuites.

Newarke point: I wouldnt recommend this place. The outside corridors smell manky and don't look very nice and some of the lifts are ruined inside. It also has a rat infestation apparently (you can see rodenticide things on the walls). The kitchens don't really look very nice either (a bit bland) but they do have lots of cupboard space. Otherwise, the rooms are OK.

And it's positioned right on campus.

Liberty Park: Quite a nice hall. It looks good. But it's really expensive; the most expensive one of the lot, I think. The ensuites are also a complete and utter joke. You don't get a bathroom, you get a tiny 'space-pod'. you could literally sit on the loo, have a shower and brush your teeth in the sink all at the same time. It's really stupid.

However, you do get a decent sized shelf and desk.

The kitchens look fairly good; you get a breakfast bar so quite a large space to prepare food on and eat at. But you don't get provided with a kettle or a toaster like in the other halls.

Position-wise, it's not as close as the other halls. It takes about 10-15 mins to get to campus and about 25 mins to get into town.

Bede Hall/New Wharf: By far the most social of all the halls. Whereas the other halls tend to be quite quiet (people don't really mix with each other usually unless in the kitchen), Bede and NW are really social places with lots of parties. You don't get an ensuite, and you'll find that in Bede you'll have 10ish people sharing 2 showers and 2 toilets. Apparently it's not too bad though.

As for kitchens, you get loads of cupboard space (in Bede anyway) and cupboards have locks on them (the other halls don't).

New Wharf is split into smaller flats than Bede (I think). Both halls are cheap (the cheapest of the lot) and situated not too far from campus. New Wharf is right near the gym.

One thing to note about New Wharf is that it's reserved for foundation course students (they start earlier than everyone else). So you might not necessarily get a place there.

That's a basic nutshell of the halls you mentioned. I think the best ones are Grosvenor and Bede personally. hope that helped somewhat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KelZee)
    I'm at DMU at the moment, so here's a short lowdown on all of the halls I've seen:

Grosvenor house: I'm in this hall. It's quite a nice place but right on the side of a busy, main road. Which means if your room is at the front of the building you're gonna be hearing traffic noises all throughout the day and night till about 2amish. You do get used to the noise though.

The actual rooms are pretty decent; you get a massive noticeboard. It's like, 3 times the size of everyone elses in other halls. And the bathrooms are pretty good too. The kitchens are also fairly good, but you get hardly any cupboard space.

It's one of the best halls for where it's positioned; only a 5-10 minute walk from both the city centre and campus. The rent is also reasonable compared to the other halls with ensuites.

Newarke point: I wouldnt recommend this place. The outside corridors smell manky and don't look very nice and some of the lifts are ruined inside. It also has a rat infestation apparently (you can see rodenticide things on the walls). The kitchens don't really look very nice either (a bit bland) but they do have lots of cupboard space. Otherwise, the rooms are OK.

And it's positioned right on campus.

Liberty Park: Quite a nice hall. It looks good. But it's really expensive; the most expensive one of the lot, I think. The ensuites are also a complete and utter joke. You don't get a bathroom, you get a tiny 'space-pod'. you could literally sit on the loo, have a shower and brush your teeth in the sink all at the same time. It's really stupid.

However, you do get a decent sized shelf and desk.

The kitchens look fairly good; you get a breakfast bar so quite a large space to prepare food on and eat at. But you don't get provided with a kettle or a toaster like in the other halls.

Position-wise, it's not as close as the other halls. It takes about 10-15 mins to get to campus and about 25 mins to get into town.

Bede Hall/New Wharf: By far the most social of all the halls. Whereas the other halls tend to be quite quiet (people don't really mix with each other usually unless in the kitchen), Bede and NW are really social places with lots of parties. You don't get an ensuite, and you'll find that in Bede you'll have 10ish people sharing 2 showers and 2 toilets. Apparently it's not too bad though.

As for kitchens, you get loads of cupboard space (in Bede anyway) and cupboards have locks on them (the other halls don't).

New Wharf is split into smaller flats than Bede (I think). Both halls are cheap (the cheapest of the lot) and situated not too far from campus. New Wharf is right near the gym.

One thing to note about New Wharf is that it's reserved for foundation course students (they start earlier than everyone else). So you might not necessarily get a place there.

That's a basic nutshell of the halls you mentioned. I think the best ones are Grosvenor and Bede personally. hope that helped somewhat
    Thanks for the infomation, thats really helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KelZee)

I'm in Grosvenor House (again), and this is pretty much right. Only problem is that the laundry room is a bit crap. Only 4 washers and dryers for 5 blocks of students. Not good.

With regards to the noise, after about a week i managed to drown it out. (although i am at the back, so it isnt as bad).

If you can, try and get a delux room, cos you get a comfy chair as well as the desk chair.

Thought cupboard space was fine, there were enough for 2 cupboards each, and then a massive cupboard under the sink.
    There's 3 flats on each floor, and each flat is single sex, but the floor is mixed.

Hope that helps too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.