Turn on thread page Beta

What is the disadvantage of having such high negative reps? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    the idea of reputation is horrible; it instantly creates bias/assumptions.
    :ditto:

Although I'm not really criticising the rep system itself, I'm not letting my exact views on that known for obvious reasons (and no, it's not because I've got a fair amount of rep). But when you have negative rep I do think people are far quicker to judge you. I was the victim of this myself when, after just a couple of days as a member, I was in the red and soon found myself in it even more after a member misunderstood what I said.

I now know this member and don't think the same wouldn't have happened if I had been in the red.

This is a criticism of how people view rep and are influenced by it, not the rep system itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    So err... your trolling is going quite bad then? :p:
    fraid so..but i like to see it as a sign im a bit nicer than the common troll..

ReputationRep:
    that ol' internet/special olympics type a' ****.

ReputationRep:
    There's a social hierachy on TSR based on rep, so you're looked down upon really. Stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people turn rep off then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)

Although I'm not really criticising the rep system itself, I'm not letting my exact views on that known for obvious reasons (and no, it's not because I've got a fair amount of rep). But when you have negative rep I do think people are far quicker to judge you. I was the victim of this myself when, after just a couple of days as a member, I was in the red and soon found myself in it even more after a member misunderstood what I said.

I now know this member and don't think the same wouldn't have happened if I had been in the red.

This is a criticism of how people view rep and are influenced by it, not the rep system itself.
    Personally there shouldn't be neg rep, just pos rep..

I also don't get much neg rep..but dont get a lot of pos either, i go weeeeeks, without any rep...no rep is good rep....

lol

ahh im a bit drunk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatguynooneknows)
    To save the environment duh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)

your last point is very true. Another important point is your bit about misunderstandings; you can trace back huge conflicts from simple misunderstandings between people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    To save the environment duh.
    ahh yes.. makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    they are embarrased because they are lacking in that department?

ReputationRep:
    U all just haters. Get a life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on quite a lame amount of rep.
    I would think that people judge you on how much rep you have, especially if it's negative reputation - especially if you start dubious threads and have a slight neg rep, or v. little rep (like mine) your likely to be flamed!

ReputationRep:
    +ve rep going to OP!
    what a guy.

Sorry, but your post count is too little for your +rep to have any significance to his count!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    Sorry, but your post count is too little for your +rep to have any significance to his count!
    i know it is.
    but i was hoping to start some sort of revolution.

unfortunately it didnt quite catch on.

ReputationRep:
    i know it is.
    but i was hoping to start some sort of revolution.

unfortunately it didnt quite catch on.
    not a surprise is it really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    not a surprise is it really..
    :nah:

but its nice to be involved in things

ReputationRep:
    Awww, I am only new here, and already have lost rep

*hopes* :p:

ReputationRep:
    People that put a lot of emphasis on rep - positive or negative - tend to be either rather young, superficial or simple.

ReputationRep:
    People are less likely to take what you say seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    People are less likely to take what you say seriously.
    So people might take me seriously? :p:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.