The Student Room Group

English Literature NEA

I'm picking two texts for my English Literature NEA and I'm really keen on exploring power, corruption and the affects it has on people and I'd really like to do lord of the rings (the fellowship) but I need a pre-1900 text to go with it but I'm not sure what texts could work with it.
Any suggestions would be great
Many thanks
I am not sure if you want a prose piece but a great one would be Macbeth by Shakespeare. I studied it back at GCSE and remember there was a lot about power and how it corrupted him and his wife. I know for Edexcel coursework it was an option but idk how i'd link it with LotR but I'll leave that to you haha.
Reply 2
Hi Callumc1101.

Firstly, make sure with the exam board that the Tolkien text is permissible for the NEA.

Obvious post-1900 prose texts for consideration for the theme you're adopting might be '1984' (George Orwell), and 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Margaret Atwood).

Pre-1900 prose texts? 'The Woman in White' (Wilkie Collins); interesting from a women and insanity angle. Thomas Hardy novels often portray social inequality and power ... 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' is frequently used. Maybe 'Jude the Obscure'? If you want a real 'doorstop', there's always 'The Way We Live Now' (Anthony Trollope)!

Poetry : war poetry can be analysed from the point of view of how conscripted soldiers fail to have choices. Perhaps Keith Douglas (WWII; 'Vergissmeinicht' as a starting-point?)

'Macbeth' is a prize for the exploration of issues of power and corruption. Shakespeare takes that theme fairly frequently. I'd suggest 'Richard III' as another possibility. It's a long play, but has lots of elements you could use.

Anyway, I hope this is of use to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending