Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry OP. I understand that you'd feel this way. It is hard enough for us to picture our parents in sexual relationships, ones we've known they have had all their lives, let alone to find out they are in fact having relations of a different sexual nature too. It just puts the whole parent/sex issue much more into the open when most of us just like to pretend that it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJ_FallingFear)
    OP: get over yourself, this has no impact on you AT ALL.
    Just because he is gay it does not mean he will treat you any different. He still loves you.
    Let him live his own life how he wants and stop being so self centred.
    How rude! It is the father who is being selfish, not the child - is it really so bad to want to openly discuss this? It is hardly being "self-centred".

Letting him "live his own life" has been the cause of this problem, and the father should have thought about his sexuality and possible feelings before committing himself to a marriage and having children; obviously he wants the best of both worlds, because, as I would think, this isn't something you decide in a split second.

ReputationRep:
    whatever he does doesnt change him carin for you (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    obviously he wants the best of both worlds, because, as I would think, this isn't something you decide in a split second.
    No, but it is something a lot of people feel the need (rightly or wrongly) to hide the entire lives. Specially if you are bi, rather than gay.

I assume the OP's father is at least slightly bi, for him to have kids. I know a bi male who desperately wants to have a family, he still wants a bit of the old todger before that happens though.

ReputationRep:
    my uncle came out a few years ago.. it was hard espically as i was so close to him. I just kinda felt betrayed that he had'nt told us earlier... It was hard yh.. but it gets easier, you just have to think that at least now its out in the open you can start to come to terms with it.. Its probs best it came out as you can all work with being happier together. even if it isnt with your mum...
    lovess
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    This has nothing to do with you OP, his decision is his own and ultimately bares no impact on your life whatsoever.

He's your Dad, end of.
    :ditto:

But it's easy to say when you're not one affected, if your dad told you he was gay I doubt you would just roll over and say 'meh'.

May seem like a big deal, but over time you'll realise it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    How rude! It is the father who is being selfish, not the child - is it really so bad to want to openly discuss this? It is hardly being "self-centred".

Letting him "live his own life" has been the cause of this problem, and the father should have thought about his sexuality and possible feelings before committing himself to a marriage and having children; obviously he wants the best of both worlds, because, as I would think, this isn't something you decide in a split second.
    What a load of bull
    I doubt he knew he was gay when he had kids
    "obviously he wants the best of both worlds"? Do you listen to yourself? Or think before you type? coming out to your kids is hard, not something you do just so you can have a little bit of 'gay fun'! Stop being so ignorant!

ReputationRep:
    At least you won't be getting another mum.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.