The Student Room Group

GCSE French Writing AQA higher

Hi guys,
If anyone has any final tips for the french writing exam tomorrow pls reply to this. Little phrases and stuff that boost marks etc...
Thank you!
Original post by user690420
Hi guys,
If anyone has any final tips for the french writing exam tomorrow pls reply to this. Little phrases and stuff that boost marks etc...
Thank you!

Hi there.

Don't feel the need to use complex/new things as you can make more mistakes this way. I also recommend using "malheuresement" (unfortunately) as this is a word examiners love at GCSE. :biggrin:

@Meduse could provide further advice. :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by user690420
Hi guys,
Thank you!

i do edexcel but for the longish questions (idk how it works for aqa but Q1 + Q2 in edexcel) make a list of the tenses and fancy grammar stuff you want to include before you start writing, but also only use something if you are confident you can do it correctly.
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Don't feel the need to use complex/new things as you can make more mistakes this way. I also recommend using "malheuresement" (unfortunately) as this is a word examiners love at GCSE. :biggrin:

@Meduse could provide further advice. :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

Thank you so much! I think it is a case of getting the grammar as correct as possible then, rather than just poorly written slightly extended content.
Reply 4
Bonsoir :smile:

Definitely stick to grammatical structures that you are confident with. As you mentioned, there's no point throwing in complex phrases if they aren't being used properly.

A good conjunction to use could be "en revanche" (on the other hand). You could use superlatives, so "c'était le [noun] le plus/moins [adjective] que...", for describing an event. "D'après moi/il me semble que" (in my opinion/it seems to me that...) work well as opposed to just "je pense que". "[noun] m'intéresse(nt - if plural noun) is great to express something that interests you. Instead of repeating "très" before an adjective like many students tend to do, try using something like "trop" (too) or "absolument" (absolutely). Furthermore, a good synonym for "amusant" (funny) is rigolo.

Try to incorporate as wide a variety of tenses you can, like the passé composé, présent and futur proche. The conditionnel and futur simple can also boost marks.

Always try to justify what you say with a reason, instead of being vague. Little details with specific subject-related vocab is impressive to an examiner. However, I wouldn't advise trying to cram a ton of unseen vocabulary before tomorrow. You're better off reviewing things that you have seen previously, but are still perhaps slightly unsure on.

Be careful with any adjectival agreements, always check back over your exam paper. Don't forget any accents.

Ensure you read each question properly so as to not miss anything out.

Feel free to let us know how you get on. Bonne chance!

Quick Reply

Latest