The Student Room Group

a 25k Job or Uni

I have the opportunity of working with British Airways with 25k salary (+benefits), I'm in year 13 and applied for Lancaster Uni, I'm not sure what to pick, most likely to go for British Airways and not Uni, if I finish uni in couple of years I will have a low salary and might not even get a Job at the end, by that time with British Airways I can be promoted and my salary will increase, still stuck as if I do uni I will have the degree.

Scroll to see replies

I'd go for BA.
I would go for British Airways. You will get lots of work experience, but also, as you have recognised, you will also have further career opportunities within British Airways and you could get promoted, which means that your salary would increase. You will be in a much better situation than half of the university students who are drinking, partying and taking deep afternoon naps and you will be ahead of other graduates who are £40k in debt and can't even use their degree for anything.

Unless British Airways is not the company that you want to work for, which is only something you'd know for yourself.
What would you study at university?
Original post by ajj2000
What would you study at university?

Computer Science
I would say go for the opportunity at British airways as you can get a lot of work experience and Gain transferrable skills which you can use in the future.Also, you can earn money which can be saved up if you want to continue your education in the future. If you get bored of you job with British airways you can always apply to university then and continue your education.
That's what I was thinking about.
Original post by Elloyxa
I would go for British Airways. You will get lots of work experience, but also, as you have recognised, you will also have further career opportunities within British Airways and you could get promoted, which means that your salary would increase. You will be in a much better situation than half of the university students who are drinking, partying and taking deep afternoon naps and you will be ahead of other graduates who are £40k in debt and can't even use their degree for anything.

Unless British Airways is not the company that you want to work for, which is only something you'd know for yourself.
I would say for now go with British airways
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Esingh-2001
Computer Science

Cool - what is the job at BA?
Original post by ajj2000
Cool - what is the job at BA?

Cargo Agent - Clerical

This is what I'll be doing:

Obtaining, checking and preparing documentation to meet customs and insurance requirements, packing specifications, and compliance with other countries' regulations
Maintaining current knowledge of relevant legislation, political situations and other factors that could affect the movement of freight.
Arranging payment of freight and other charges or collection of payment on behalf of the client
Competent use of various systems in line with procedures
Providing excellent customer service
Work proactively to overcome challenges with our customers in mind
Effective communication with your team leaders and managers
Remember that you can always go to uni if the job doesn't work out as you expected! There's no time limit on it :smile:

I'd suggest going with the job initially - if you like it, you can stick with it and progress up the ladder. If you don't, you can give notice and go to uni!
Cargo Agent - Clerical

Obtaining, checking and preparing documentation to meet customs and insurance requirements, packing specifications, and compliance with other countries' regulations
Maintaining current knowledge of relevant legislation, political situations and other factors that could affect the movement of freight.
Arranging payment of freight and other charges or collection of payment on behalf of the client

Check what opportunities for training there are. You may be restricted in promotion without degree-level qualifications. Looks like a clerical job
Cargo Agent - Clerical

Sounds great to me! Congratulations on the offer!

Which would you prefer to do were you only looking at the next 2 years? Go to university or work and have a bit more money?
Original post by username5982483

I agree.
You could always apply to uni later on down the line if you wanted to (e.g. the job doesnt work out or you change your mind/plans later on in life).
Uni will always be an option if you wanted to. Whereas the job is a one off opportunity which you might not get again.
I have the opportunity of working with British Airways with 25k salary (+benefits), I'm in year 13 and applied for Lancaster Uni, I'm not sure what to pick, most likely to go for British Airways and not Uni, if I finish uni in couple of years I will have a low salary and might not even get a Job at the end, by that time with British Airways I can be promoted and my salary will increase, still stuck as if I do uni I will have the degree.

uni. there’s only so far you’ll go with an airline if you aren’t flying or aren’t upper mgmt. don’t spend the next 30 years desk surfing, give uni a try
Original post by cc2k22
uni. there’s only so far you’ll go with an airline if you aren’t flying or aren’t upper mgmt. don’t spend the next 30 years desk surfing, give uni a try

Uni isnt everything
Original post by Emma:-)
Uni isnt everything

of course not but if you make the most of it, many of us will make lifelong friends and great experiences which you simply wouldn’t if you went straight to working with a bunch of depressed 30-40 year olds lol
doesn't comp science have high paying jobs that are highly available
Maybe to do part time uni courses (Open University) while doing work, and you may get a better job
Hi, just thought I could possibly add something as someone actually from Lancaster myself. Obviously the university itself is very good and is a great campus (I’m not a student there btw I’ve just been multiple times) and of course I’m sure you would meet lots of great people like at any uni, but if a deciding factor is going to be how good the place is itself I must say Lancaster isn’t that great for student stuff. The city itself is very small and has almost no night clubs, in fact the only major one it has has just shutdown due to a recent controversy surrounding a bouncer punching a young lad and killing him. The city is nice enough but as I say just pretty uneventful, and although Lancaster is close to lots of nice scenery with the Lake District just 40 minutes up the road, that may well be something you’re not interested in. Of course, this isn’t to say you wouldn’t have a great time yourself and I’m not trying to put you off it I’m just saying that depending on where you’re from the student life/ nightlife in the town may be a bit underwhelming, so if that is a big factor for you in choosing whether to go uni or get a good job that might be something to consider.

Latest

Trending

Trending