The Student Room Group

french gcse aqa higher writing

does anyone know how many tenses you have to use to get close to / full marks on the 150 word? i did last time in a mock but i can’t remember what i wrote at all😭😭😭and does anyone have any tips or specific phrases i can use to bump up my marks that seem rlly impressive
Original post by user93_
does anyone know how many tenses you have to use to get close to / full marks on the 150 word? i did last time in a mock but i can’t remember what i wrote at all😭😭😭and does anyone have any tips or specific phrases i can use to bump up my marks that seem rlly impressive

you need 3 tenses in total(all of them basically) because you need to show a wide variety of knowledge.
i have some useful phrases:
il/elle a tort/raison(he/she is wrong/right) to condracdict an opinion and the you can add more reasons following that.
If you want more phrases let me know but that is the phrase I mostly use.
Reply 2
Original post by diya10900
you need 3 tenses in total(all of them basically) because you need to show a wide variety of knowledge.
i have some useful phrases:
il/elle a tort/raison(he/she is wrong/right) to condracdict an opinion and the you can add more reasons following that.
If you want more phrases let me know but that is the phrase I mostly use.

thank you so much this is really helpful!! if it isn’t too much bother please could u share some more phrases :smile:
i do spanish but the mark scheme is pretty much identical to the french writing as far as I know - idk if this is applicable to you based on your school/class/teacher but loads of people in my class just memorised the answers they had for the speaking exam and put those into their writing mocks? obviously that depends what you did for your speaking as to whether you can do that but loads of people did it in my year for the 90/150 word questions and they got full marks

also i'd recommend learning some idioms that you can use if possible
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by user93_

bien qu'il soit = whilst it is. I can't remember which tense it is my GCSEs were 3 years ago but its a good one grammatically. Using both the perfect and imperfect past e.g. j'ai mangé, j'etais. Same goes for future (can't remember what they each are called) use je vais aller and j'irai
Reply 5
Original post by jamsparkle
i do spanish but the mark scheme is pretty much identical to the french writing as far as I know - idk if this is applicable to you based on your school/class/teacher but loads of people in my class just memorised the answers they had for the speaking exam and put those into their writing mocks? obviously that depends what you did for your speaking as to whether you can do that but loads of people did it in my year for the 90/150 word questions and they got full marks

also i'd recommend learning some idioms that you can use if possible

this is so helpful thank you :smile: i’ll definitely do this! i just wanted to ask, if you know, if they wrote tons directly about the bullet points? because i can only memorise so many answers and don’t know what the question could be so it’s rlly likely that somet could come up that i haven’t memorised stuff about, which i’m wary of. so like say if i picked the theme 3 question about future study & employment but the two bullet points were directly related to school like ‘what are the positives and negatives of school’ and ‘what did you do do last week at school’, if i only put like two sentences for each bullet point directly, and talked about what job i want in the future, and where i want to live & work, and what i worked as in the past, if that’s what i memorised stuff on, would it still be possible to gain full marks, if the majority of it wasn’t even on the bullet points, just within a similar topic of work, rather than school? (obvs considering the quality and grammar etc is full mark worthy) sorry that’s quite long and wordy im just panicking to myself rn😭
Original post by user93_
this is so helpful thank you :smile: i’ll definitely do this! i just wanted to ask, if you know, if they wrote tons directly about the bullet points? because i can only memorise so many answers and don’t know what the question could be so it’s rlly likely that somet could come up that i haven’t memorised stuff about, which i’m wary of. so like say if i picked the theme 3 question about future study & employment but the two bullet points were directly related to school like ‘what are the positives and negatives of school’ and ‘what did you do do last week at school’, if i only put like two sentences for each bullet point directly, and talked about what job i want in the future, and where i want to live & work, and what i worked as in the past, if that’s what i memorised stuff on, would it still be possible to gain full marks, if the majority of it wasn’t even on the bullet points, just within a similar topic of work, rather than school? (obvs considering the quality and grammar etc is full mark worthy) sorry that’s quite long and wordy im just panicking to myself rn😭

if it helps for my mock we had a question about future jobs but I decided I liked my environment question so I did a couple of sentences how in the future "I want to work with nature because global warming really worries me" etc then just put in my question about the effects of global warming and I got 32 - as long as you've addressed the bullet points in some way and have a way to link it so it stays relevant I think it's fine

oh and yeah you can have a whole page about one bullet point then only like one or two sentences on the other and it is ok you don't have to be balanced - the markscheme says "All bullet points must be covered, but there is no need for equal coverage of the bullets" in bold haha
(edited 1 year ago)
also we have advance info for spanish writing so I assume they have the same for french - maybe check the aqa website to see?
Reply 8
if it helps for my mock we had a question about future jobs but I decided I liked my environment question so I did a couple of sentences how in the future "I want to work with nature because global warming really worries me" etc then just put in my question about the effects of global warming and I got 32 - as long as you've addressed the bullet points in some way and have a way to link it so it stays relevant I think it's fine

oh and yeah you can have a whole page about one bullet point then only like one or two sentences on the other and it is ok you don't have to be balanced - the markscheme says "All bullet points must be covered, but there is no need for equal coverage of the bullets" in bold haha

thank you so much!! that makes sense :smile: hope ur exams go well, and well done for getting 32 omg i could only dream, that is literally amazing
Reply 9
also we have advance info for spanish writing so I assume they have the same for french - maybe check the aqa website to see?

yess they’ve just taken off holidays as a topic for writing which i’m annoyed about honestly bc that ones so easy!! and then there’s 3 options for the 150 worded rather than 2 which there would normally be i think :smile:
Original post by user93_
thank you so much this is really helpful!! if it isn’t too much bother please could u share some more phrases :smile:

i've recently had my mocks so i have loads of phrases.
je ne m'ennuie jamais quand=i am never bored when
on s'amuse bien ensemble=we have a lot of fun together
ca peut etre(you need the accents but idk how to do them here)=it can be(you can also change it for different tenses)
ce sera/ce serait=it will be/it would be
il y aura/il y aurait=there will be/there would be
bien que ce soit/c'etait/ce serait=even though it is/was/will be
j'ai de la chance=i have luck(it's an idiom so i would recommend using it whenever you can)
soit...soit...=either...either..
ca m'interesse=it interests me
meme si=even if(again there's an accent on e)

these are a mix of different tenses so you might want to double check.
Good Luck with your exam:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest