Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was trying to find a present for a friend's 20th Birthday and I thoguht maybe I'd get her some jewelry. So I had a look around town and bought a necklace for her. It's nothing fancy, it's basically a silver chain with a pendant in the shape of a butterfly.

Anyway, I was thinking about it a bit more and I suddenly had the thought maybe this would come across as a bit weird - I've not really known her that long (about three months at most) and I'm a bit worried I'll be thought of as a bit of a creep if I hand her that as a gift.

So basically, what does everyone think? I'm probably worried about nothing, but I wonder if its best to play it safe and just buy a CD instead...

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be creepy? It sounds like a nice gift. I had a friend who I'd known for two weeks who bought me a necklace for my 16th. Nothing wrong with doing that.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd find that absolutely fine and it sounds lovely, but probably best to get a few more opinions!! How close friends are you now?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't find it creepy either.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be quite happy receiving jewellery as a gift. Surely you know the kind of thing she likes though?

ReputationRep:
    I would find it really sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westlake)
    Personally I'd find that absolutely fine and it sounds lovely, but probably best to get a few more opinions!! How close friends are you now?
    Fairly close - we've been out together loads and always have a good laugh. I wouldn't say we're majorly close, but I'd be happy dropping her a text every once in a couple of days just to ask how she is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    Fairly close - we've been out together loads and always have a good laugh. I wouldn't say we're majorly close, but I'd be happy dropping her a text every once in a couple of days just to ask how she is.
    then just give her the necklace. To be honest, I think buying a CD for someone is more difficult- how do you know they like the band, or that they haven't got the CD already or something? Jewellry's better.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a lovely present, certainly wouldnt think it was creepy!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... ok, so the general feeling seems to be I'm worried about nothing... typical.

Thanks for your thoughts so far. I'd still like to hear thoughts from others as well though - but I think I am swaying towards giving her the necklace. After all, I've gone and paid for the bloody thing now.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I'd think what a sweet guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattaf)
    So I was trying to find a present for a friend's 20th Birthday and I thoguht maybe I'd get her some jewelry. So I had a look around town and bought a necklace for her. It's nothing fancy, it's basically a silver chain with a pendant in the shape of a butterfly.

Anyway, I was thinking about it a bit more and I suddenly had the thought maybe this would come across as a bit weird - I've not really known her that long (about three months at most) and I'm a bit worried I'll be thought of as a bit of a creep if I hand her that as a gift.

So basically, what does everyone think? I'm probably worried about nothing, but I wonder if its best to play it safe and just buy a CD instead...
    Jewelry as a token of ardour is typically presented in an elegant box or ornamented container, so provided you keep the presentational paraphernalia relatively modest/light-hearted, I doubt your intentions will be misconstrued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Jewelry as a token of ardour is typically presented in an elegant box or ornamented container, so provided you keep the presentational paraphernalia relatively modest/light-hearted, I doubt your intentions will be misconstrued.
    Mattaf, this Profesh guy is a TSR legend with his vast use of vocabulary.

Eloquently put, Mr Profesh!

ReputationRep:
    she's not scared of butterflies is she? it's a common phobia...

ReputationRep:
    I'd love it if my guy mates did that.
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    id creep out, and hide... :p:
    your worrying for nothing, its a sweet gift. nothing creepy about it at all!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a lovely gift. I wouldn't find it creepy at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds really lovely. =) Go for the necklace.

ReputationRep:
    why would it be creepy? I think its a great gift for someone

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.