Dropping out of Nursing Degree

Watch this thread
Wonderland2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
So reaching end of first year. I tried nursing last year at a different university and then dropped out and came to this one. After doing all the placements, I realised that this was possibly not for me. I really struggled with the placements, especially the one ward I was on last. I have become depressed because of this and really feel that I would prefer to do something else, especially the way that pay is for nurses, and prices of everything going up, and having to do 2300hrs work for free is so difficult and I am starting to loose motivation and just have started thinking about doing an online degree and doing work for money.
I always have worked in healthcare so this seemed natural for me to go into nursing but now I am just depressed in what I am doing and really am struggling to find a reason to continue.
Recently have failed an assignment also, which has really upset me as I worked so hard on it. Waiting for resub results now.
Anyone else have second thoughts about nursing degree?
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
be careful you may not have enough years to complete a degree if you quit
malshoha
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wonderland2000)
Hi,
So reaching end of first year. I tried nursing last year at a different university and then dropped out and came to this one. After doing all the placements, I realised that this was possibly not for me. I really struggled with the placements, especially the one ward I was on last. I have become depressed because of this and really feel that I would prefer to do something else, especially the way that pay is for nurses, and prices of everything going up, and having to do 2300hrs work for free is so difficult and I am starting to loose motivation and just have started thinking about doing an online degree and doing work for money.
I always have worked in healthcare so this seemed natural for me to go into nursing but now I am just depressed in what I am doing and really am struggling to find a reason to continue.
Recently have failed an assignment also, which has really upset me as I worked so hard on it. Waiting for resub results now.
what is it about nursing you don't like? perhaps nursing can be a gateway into healthcare professions you do enjoy. Locum shifts can make the money quite decent.
Totentanz
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wonderland2000)
Hi,
What specifically did you struggle at on placements?

Do you think this is a spontaneous thought due to a series of unfortunate events? (failing assignment and bad placement experience).

As for the pay for nurses, were you making more money before you started studying? A newly qualified band 5 nurse can make £25,655, rising up to £31,534 with more experience (https://www.nurses.co.uk/careers-hub/nursing-pay-guide/).

If you do decide to switch degree then you need to be aware of funding. The government website states "If you stopped your course within the first year, you'll get funding for the same course or a new course when you go back" (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies). Since you haven't ended your first year yet, I believe you should be able to get fully funded for another course, but you should double check with student finance. You will also have to repay the tuition fee loan that has already been spent for your first year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads