Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I'm booking my flights this week for my 6 month trip in January, of which 2 weeks or so will be spent in and around Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia...

Sooooo, I'm looking for a coat that's going to be warm but not huge/unpackable etc. That's where the dilemma begins, as the man in Cotswolds shop explained to me, when he suggested a down coat...

Down will definitely be warmest BUT when it gets wet (big snow!), it doesn't work as effectively. Down will fold up and can be compresed for a backpack BUT when carrying a backpack etc. whilst wearing it, the feathers are compressed, rendering it ineffective, not to mention wearing away the material at the shoulders!

I understand that given the destination, I don't want to mess around and get a cheapo coat, but £220 (the price of the one I almost bought) seems a tad expensive for something with as many disadvantages as advantages, no ??

Any suggestions? Do you have a great coat that you'd like to recommend ??

Thanks,

WMT

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.