The Student Room Group

swimming vs Sauna. which is best?

Hey

looking for advice on swimming or spending time in Sauna.

which is best?
There again, Ive never heard of a shark attack in a sauna.
So on the shark attack avoidance criterion, Id go sauna.
when i go in saunas i cant breathe properly so i prefer swimming
Reply 4
I never really understood the appeal of saunas. They are essentially a room where you sweat profusely. They don't "detox" you... your kidneys do that, but they do dehydrate you significantly. I suppose some people might have some mental benefits if they find it relaxing but otherwise, any kind of physical activity will have far more benefits.
Reply 5
Also let’s not forget that saunas are currently at the epicentre of covid and monkey pox outbreaks
Original post by Kyri
I never really understood the appeal of saunas. They are essentially a room where you sweat profusely. They don't "detox" you... your kidneys do that, but they do dehydrate you significantly. I suppose some people might have some mental benefits if they find it relaxing but otherwise, any kind of physical activity will have far more benefits.

If you ever visit an outdoor swimming pool in Iceland in winter, saunas suddenly make sense. Jumping out of the thermal pools and running to the sauna is bracing at best, but good fun when you get there.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyri

They've detoxed my skin on one occasion. You are not meant to stay in them for hours. They are temporary facilities.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
If you ever visit an outdoor swimming pool in Iceland in winter, saunas suddenly make sense. Jumping out of the thermal pools and running to the sauna is bracing at best, but good fun when you get there.

That does sound kinda fun actually. I've been to an outdoor hot pool in Iceland in winter and the transition from the pool to the inside is not that pleasant with how cold the air is!

Original post by JVM2020
They've detoxed my skin on one occasion. You are not meant to stay in them for hours. They are temporary facilities.

I'm not sure there's scientific evidence to support that saunas detox your skin. A quick Google search brought up a review of studies on the topic. To quote "Facilities offering sauna bathing often claim health benefits that include detoxification, increased metabolism, weight loss, increased blood circulation, pain reduction, antiaging, skin rejuvenation, improved cardiovascular function, improved immune function, improved sleep, stress management, and relaxation. However, rigorous medical evidence to support these claims is scant and incomplete".
I lost 35lbs by swimming. :yy:
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
I lost 35lbs by swimming. :yy:

Testimony there!

Now is the weather to be in water!

Quick Reply

Latest