Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How often to you contact someone you like? Watch

I met this guy around 2 months ago at a club and we got on really well. We spoke on facebook a little while later, and he invited me and my friends out to a party him and his friends were going to. That night he we were flirting a lot and he seemed to really like me. Since then he's had a lot of uni work to do so he wont be going out much or anything for the next few weeks. We've texted a few times and spoken on facebook. I'm just wondering how often you think is normal to text him or talk to him online? We're not exactly 'seeing each other' even though I'm hoping we will be when he's got more free time. Because I haven't seen him many times, I don't want to seem too forward and contact him too frequently. But also, I don't want him to forget about me either! I could wait for him to contact me each time, but I want to be prepared in case he doesn't. How often do you contact someone you like, when you aren't quite at the dating stage yet?

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met this guy around 2 months ago at a club and we got on really well. We spoke on facebook a little while later, and he invited me and my friends out to a party him and his friends were going to. That night he we were flirting a lot and he seemed to really like me. Since then he's had a lot of uni work to do so he wont be going out much or anything for the next few weeks. We've texted a few times and spoken on facebook. I'm just wondering how often you think is normal to text him or talk to him online? We're not exactly 'seeing each other' even though I'm hoping we will be when he's got more free time. Because I haven't seen him many times, I don't want to seem too forward and contact him too frequently. But also, I don't want him to forget about me either! I could wait for him to contact me each time, but I want to be prepared in case he doesn't. How often do you contact someone you like, when you aren't quite at the dating stage yet?
    Oooh baby, you're in there, so shake that thing!

Anyway, it really depends on the dynamics of your relationship.

Guys don't like having no space to breathe so make sure you avoid making unreciprocated contact to him.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t take on board too many other hard and fast rules (like the given numbered figures below, sory guys it just seems too rule bound :o: ).

If he likes you, he’ll like the constant flirting.

ReputationRep:
    Say twice a week in a friendly message on Facebook, and perhaps a few texts on a Sunday or something?

ReputationRep:
    I contact them directly sometimes and they..........ran away lol

ReputationRep:
    I used to make the effort to send them at least 1 message a day. Then they told me where to stick my messages...

So don't do that!

ReputationRep:
    hmm, how often do u talk now, every few weeks?

EDIT: try talking about 3 times a week, a bit more at the weekend perhaps? christmas holidays are coming up so he'd have more time to talk then x

(Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    hmm, how often do u talk now, every few weeks?

EDIT: try talking about 3 times a week, a bit more at the weekend perhaps? christmas holidays are coming up so he'd have more time to talk then x
    Really? Do you think 3 times a week is too much if you haven't seen them that many times and might not see them for a few weeks? We've been speaking once or twice a week recently.

ReputationRep:
    I talk to the person like almost every single day. Mostly on weekends though.

So do most of you think that speaking once a week isn't enough to keep them interested? I just don't want to seem too desperate!

ReputationRep:
    i think for someone you havent seen that much,twice a week should be enough, only once and you're not showing any interest,much more and you're basically thinking about him everyday,which for all intents and purposes to him may seem like all the time, if you dont want to seem desperate, a txt or a facebook twice a week should be enough

ReputationRep:
    Daily and Nightly and Ever so rightly.

Also, the last time we spoke on facebook (less than a week ago) he said he'll text me after he gets his uni work done, which I think should be in the next few days. Should I wait for him to text me? If he doesn't, would it be desperate for me to text him?

ReputationRep:
    chances are if you wait for him to text you in the next few days,and he doesnt it'll really annoy you, theres no problem in you texting,if even just to ask how the uni work is going

ReputationRep:
    I txt 24/7. on weekends when i have free texts and other times too. When she comes back from School we talk all day on MSN so it's no problem for me lol.

ReputationRep:
    I usually walk home with her after school (she lives on same road). I also talk to her occasionally in the evenings through MSN (don't usually use MSN/Facebook/etc but i've made a special case for her )

No texting allowed tho, because my mum has confiscated my phone. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    OP, now if you were a guy, I'd tell you to stop pussyfooting and ask her out. But, there's seems to be the dilemma of you being female. You could just suggest he come out on the next student night with you. Talk with him for a bit then go dance... then pull him. It takes one kiss for him to realise you like him in that way... he could just be intimidated by girls and he actually likes you as well

As far as your actual question goes, there's no time limit. I text a lot.

(Original post by _MaLc_)
    OP, now if you were a guy, I'd tell you to stop pussyfooting and ask her out. But, there's seems to be the dilemma of you being female. You could just suggest he come out on the next student night with you. Talk with him for a bit then go dance... then pull him. It takes one kiss for him to realise you like him in that way... he could just be intimidated by girls and he actually likes you as well

As far as your actual question goes, there's no time limit. I text a lot.
    Do you really text a lot? Even if you've only met them 2 or 3 times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you really text a lot? Even if you've only met them 2 or 3 times?
    That's the thing, Anonymous. If you don't make yourself known that you like them, then nothing will ever happen. Therefore if you do get his number or whatever, it generally goes like this (with me anyway):

-In club
    -Pull
    -Get number(kiss if possible)
    -Text next day
    -If you don't get a reply(either because she/he can't remember it or it was a one-night/in the moment thing)... end here. If you do then:
    -Keep replying with questions... none of this 'lol' or one line text message *****. Each text has to be open for another text... if your a good conversationalist, you'll be fine. Baring in mind, all starting texts should be short and sweet.. then eventually get longer.
    -.......it'll go somewhere eventually... hopefully a date.

Something to take note is that if you've met a couple of times already and flirted, he's probably just taking his time with you. Also, it's very easy to come off as desperate and pushy in texts... just something to be aware of.

You should PM me with your real account and give me updates... i'm really rooting for you right now haha :p:

(Original post by _MaLc_)
    That's the thing, Anonymous. If you don't make yourself known that you like them, then nothing will ever happen. Therefore if you do get his number or whatever, it generally goes like this (with me anyway):

-In club
    -Pull
    -Get number(kiss if possible)
    -Text next day
    -If you don't get a reply(either because she/he can't remember it or it was a one-night/in the moment thing)... end here. If you do then:
    -Keep replying with questions... none of this 'lol' or one line text message *****. Each text has to be open for another text... if your a good conversationalist, you'll be fine. Baring in mind, all starting texts should be short and sweet.. then eventually get longer.
    -.......it'll go somewhere eventually... hopefully a date.

Something to take note is that if you've met a couple of times already and flirted, he's probably just taking his time with you. Also, it's very easy to come off as desperate and pushy in texts... just something to be aware of.You should PM me with your real account and give me updates... i'm really rooting for you right now haha :p:
    Thanks for the advice. What would you consider to be a desperate or pushy sounding text? And what would you consider a good text?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.