First class honours

Watch this thread
Maverickf1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone ever achieved this?

I have spent the morning trying to figure out how to get a first and honestly, I think the OU makes it purposely difficult to figure out their grading system.

In the document on how they figure out your final class of honours it talks alot about distinction, pass grade 2, pass grade 3 etc... but doesn't tell you what the boundaries are for these.
In each individual module I cant find the boundaries for these.
In the first year modules it says that these modules do not contribute to the final grade, but you can pass with distinction by getting 85%+.
I assumed this was just the first year modules, but now I am seeing people say that you need to get 85%+ in ALL modules to achieve a first!? Surely this cant be right when traditional Unis award it for 70%+.

Anyone have any experience here?
smet
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
you dont need all modules at distinction to get a 1st, you do need 60 credits at level 3 to be at distinction though
pmd_qwe
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maverickf1)

I have spent the morning trying to figure out how to get a first and honestly, I think the OU makes it purposely difficult to figure out their grading system.

In the document on how they figure out your final class of honours it talks alot about distinction, pass grade 2, pass grade 3 etc... but doesn't tell you what the boundaries are for these.
In the first year modules it says that these modules do not contribute to the final grade, but you can pass with distinction by getting 85%+.
I assumed this was just the first year modules, but now I am seeing people say that you need to get 85%+ in ALL modules to achieve a first!? Surely this cant be right when traditional Unis award it for 70%+.

You can find the boundaries on page 54 of the assessment handbook:
https://help.open.ac.uk/documents/po...dbook-2018.pdf

These are the "guaranteed" thresholds; it's sometimes possible to get bumped up a grade if you were close to the threshold and the standardisation procedure (grading to a curve) works in your favour. In general though, you do need 85% for a distinction.

OU grading tends to be quite specific and objective compared to traditional unis. For example: Where a traditional uni might ask for a long essay about a general topic and then grade it in a relatively subjective way (how convincing your arguments were etc), OU assessments are more likely to ask 5-10 focused questions with relatively short answers expected for each. The grade scheme will be based on whether you covered certain important points in response to each question and applied them correctly.

It's therefore more practical to get 85+ than it would be at brick unis.

You already found the document that covers the final honours classification, and there are some third-party calculators that implement the calculations it describes.

The short version is that to get a first, you'll need at least two distinctions at stage 3, plus healthy grades (probably a mix of distinction and pass 2) for the rest of stage 3 and at stage 2.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Maverickf1)

I got a first-class honours in Psychology with Counselling - it is possible! And you don't need 85% in all modules. I got a pass in one of my level 3 modules and still managed a first. It's hard work and I had to keep myself well organised and made sure to attend tutorials and contact tutors for help when needed. I have to say, though, how things are graded seemed to depend on who your tutor was, so I don't know how consistent grading is! I got 80-90% in most modules, but then dropped to 65-75% in another with little explanation as to why.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
70.41%
In the post (3)
3.06%
Text (13)
13.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads