Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would smoking half a cigarette at a time help cut down on smoking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, it's not as good as outright quiting, but would smoking half a cigarette at a time help in the cutting down/quiting process? For example, lighting a fag, smoking half of it, then chip it, and smoke the other half later. So I've still got some nicotine, but only half what I would have smoked otherwise.

Likely to work or just a lot of messing about for little gain?

ReputationRep:
    It's better than not doing so obviously unless it makes you less likely to quit I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's good, as you're generally cutting down, and so you should see some of the health benefits as well. Just make sure you don't take them twice as much, which you may be tempted to at first as you'll only be getting half the amount of nicotine, and thus the receptors will respond slightly more strongly than previous, or soon, not sure which. :p: Anyway, you're obviously still going to need will power, and I'd perhaps suggest using nicotine patches as well, but you seem to be taking the right steps.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be hard to just stop halfway though? You still might crave a cigarette after it.

You can only do what works for you, so once you've found that you'll be sorted!

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    If smoking is like chocolate, then you cannot stop at half, its just nom nom nom WTF where is my chocolate nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you will stop smoking your cigarette halfway through, even if you intend to you will probably just end up smoking the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I do this occasionally (although not with the intention of quitting) and it is perfectly fine, so I'd say yes, go for it.

(Original post by AWZC)
    If smoking is like chocolate, then you cannot stop at half, its just nom nom nom WTF where is my chocolate nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    It won't help you quit but it wont be quite as bad for you, that's if you actually manage to stop at half.

ReputationRep:
    No, becase you need a certain level of nicottine (spelling) so cut down, you will just take more drags. It is not like cutting down on chocolate. That is why they say quit or use a nocorette stick, not "cut down".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.