The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Intra mural sports?

Wondering (on behalf of my daughter considering Lancaster) how good do you have to get on a hockey team for fun? Is there intramural sport beyond football?

I am asking because I did my undergrad at Loughborough and the first question at the Hockey Club Freshers stand was "what county do you play for?!" I was just playing for fun well below that level, but there was a massive inter hall rivalry and plenty of opportunity to play
Original post by LittleSkink
Wondering (on behalf of my daughter considering Lancaster) how good do you have to get on a hockey team for fun? Is there intramural sport beyond football?

I am asking because I did my undergrad at Loughborough and the first question at the Hockey Club Freshers stand was "what county do you play for?!" I was just playing for fun well below that level, but there was a massive inter hall rivalry and plenty of opportunity to play

Hi @LittleSkink,

There is an A's, B's (maybe C's) and Dev team. The Development team is the most relaxed out of them all, and would allow you to play casually. The other teams are not as extreme as what Loughborough seem to be. My flatmate played on the B's without lots of experience. However, I do believe they quite a big commitment, with games most Wednesdays and training multiple times a week.

Hope this helps.
Jake, final year ambassador.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by LittleSkink

Hi,
At Lancaster, there are lots of opportunities to play sports at different levels. For example, I played briefly for the university hockey development team which was very inclusive and fun. Apart from the university level sports, unlike other universities, we also offer sports teams through our college system. For example, I joined my college's netball team with very little sporting experience and still got to play in fixtures weekly just against other university colleges rather than other universities. College sport is a really good relaxed option to be able to competitively get involved in sports and also the social aspects attached to them while having less time commitment and sporting level requirements. I really do believe the friendly and inclusive sporting environment at Lancaster University sets it apart from other universities with plenty of ways to get involved at whatever level you wish.
Hope this helps,
Best wishes Esme (Student ambassador for Lancaster University).

Quick Reply

Latest