apolaroidofus
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi - I'm looking for university courses and I'm hoping to apply for a chemistry course. I just wondered if anybody could suggest any chemistry courses with high mathematical content? (I do a-level further maths and would love to expand on this during my degree). The two I've seen so far are Oxford and Nottingham (which both have maths modules that cover matrix algebra, vector calculus, complex numbers, differential equations, etc) Does anybody know of any others?
atmospherity
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
Hi - I'm looking for university courses and I'm hoping to apply for a chemistry course. I just wondered if anybody could suggest any chemistry courses with high mathematical content? (I do a-level further maths and would love to expand on this during my degree). The two I've seen so far are Oxford and Nottingham (which both have maths modules that cover matrix algebra, vector calculus, complex numbers, differential equations, etc) Does anybody know of any others?
I would recommend looking at universities that have a Chemistry degree that you are generally interested in. In Y2/Y3 you are able to pick modules that would best suit you (mathematical), so have a look at the universities/chemistry degrees that interest you and look at the course structure, where you will be able to find the modules that you are able to pick
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Southampton has a course in Chemistry with Mathematics (or at least used to), although that isn't mathematical aspects of chemistry so much as degree level chemistry and degree level maths (as in, maths degree maths - you do proper abstract linear algebra and real analysis and such I believe). They also have a fair range of physical chemistry options.

Note that in general most physical chemistry will be somewhat mathematical, so any courses that emphasise that might be appealing to you. You may also be particularly interested in degrees in chemical physics, which essentially focuses primarily on those areas of physical chemistry, with supporting aspects of physics and other fields of chemistry for contextualising it.

Also outside of the above, often you can take optional mathematical methods modules in such courses, so that is worth considering. For example Cambridge NatSci, you have to do maths in first year, and you can do a maths paper in second year as well (which is quite advanced, as it's the one physicists there do), and thereafter would focus purely on chemistry but may be able to select more mathematical topics (like physical chemistry ones).

You may additionally want to consider materials science if you're interested in solid state aspects of chemistry, since as a field it's very mathematical, but also incorporates some chemistry adjacent material (some courses may have some more "proper" chemistry in them too).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (13)
31.71%
Take a gap year (10)
24.39%
Resit my exams (7)
17.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (5)
12.2%
I don't know yet (3)
7.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
7.32%

Watched Threads