Turn on thread page Beta

ANON OR DELETE PLEASE.

Firstly, I live in a house with 4 other people - we'll call them A, B, C, D and myself.

Myself and my best mate, A, went home this weekend. Another good friend of mine, B, who didn't go home, told me that C and D are planning a big house talk, as apparently myself and housemate A are not doing our part with the cleaning (particularly the kitchen), and as C, my considerably aggressive housemate said, "**** is going down".

Now, I find this quite frustrating as it may appear that I don't do my share of the cleaning, but that's because I always ensure immediately to clean up after myself when I eat, and I always keep dirty dishes in my room until I'm ready to clean them, so they don't mount up in the sink. There's always a pile of dirty dishes there, which are most likely housemate A's (who never cleans the shower out either).

As one of my housemates is quite aggressive (he slams doors VERY hard when he gets angry, even causing a crack in our wall the other day), I'm expecting a heavy argument tomorrow. Housemate C frequently cleans the kitchen, and they both believe it's not fair that I and housemate A supposedly never do. I never cause a mess, and if people cleaned after themselves like I do, then we'd only have to clean the oven and the toilets (on a rotary basis as we all agreed months ago but never happened).

It's frustrating to be lumped in with Housemate A, who, to be fair, as much as he is my best friend, likely is the culprit not cleaning after himself. I always change the bin and clean the shower when others don't, and it feels rather insulting, and moot, that they intend to lecture to me like parents about supposedly not doing my part when I do it so efficiently there's never really "a part" for me to do.

I'm hoping that I go in expecting the worst and it's quite civilised, but housemates C and D are the "confident" ones, and myself and A are quite shy.

Any advice? I hope I don't back down if it gets too heated, but I really am quite uncomfortable about C when he gets in a huff.

Thanks.

Sorry, that meant to read that "Housemate B frequently cleans the kitchen"

ReputationRep:
    Cleaning is sometimes a big part in sharing a house together with other people, my housemate is moving out coz we argue a lot about cleaning, and I hate it when I'm always the one who clean.

Not much help from my side, coz am in a similar situation...

ReputationRep:
    You've put across a perfectly good argument to us so just state that to them if they ask to talk about it (you clean your own stuff up straight away). If he starts getting aggressive tell him to calm down otherwise you wont speak to him until he has. If he continues walk away and hope that flatmate D is wise enough to calm C down

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them that you always clean up after yourself. If they challenge you with a "yeah, but everyone needs to help when we have a proper clean" tell them you don't think it is fair that you need to clean up other people's mess just so that you look like you are doing something. However, if you want to defend yourself you need to be really efficient in the future - any time you leave something because you are busy it will be thrown in your face (hopefully not literaly).

Maybe agree that the house is often messy and agree to clean the oven/fridge/floor on a rota basis? That way you seem positive and helpful, thus hopefully avoiding a massive arguement.

ReputationRep:
    Why you can't simply assign these people pseudonyms (while purporting that those are in fact their real names so as to allay suspicion, perhaps substituting a gender or two) then refrain from citing specific information extraneous to your problem is far more of a mystery to me than will be your identity assuming any of the aforementioned housemates alights upon this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Why you can't simply assign these people pseudonyms (while purporting that those are in fact their real names so as to allay suspicion, perhaps substituting a gender or two) then refrain from citing specific information extraneous to your problem is far more of a mystery to me than will be your identity assuming any of the aforementioned housemates alights upon this thread.
    LOL!
    Profesh is right.

ReputationRep:
    If your anonymity is so precarious, make a new account and then fabricate the identities of those involved: refer to a 'Jane' or 'Chris', who doesn't cause cracks in walls but rather hurls cutlery/plays death-metal at prohibitive volume.

An analogy will suffice; after all, it doesn't matter whether he breaks doors or breaks wind: the salient point is that he is aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    LOL!
    Profesh is right.
    Well, I wasn't sure if I agreed with him or not.

With your endorsement, however, I think I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    If your anonymity is so precarious, make a new account and then fabricate the identities of those involved: refer to a 'Jane' or 'Chris', who doesn't cause cracks in walls but rather hurls cutlery/breaks wind/plays death-metal at prohibitive volume.

An analogy will suffice; after all, it doesn't matter whether he breaks doors or breaks wind: the salient point is that he is aggressive.
    Whoa. Deja vu. I'm not a notepad, you know. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh but creating names for people is effort. I'm happy about reading about A and C. I'd like more about D, though.

D's generally alright but he would probably side with C and is far more outgoing than myself or A.

ReputationRep:
    bet you a fiver ABCD will probably posted on here already ha GET READY FOR WAR WOMAN!!

ReputationRep:
    "Hell is other people" - Jean-Paul Sartre

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.