The Student Room Group

Extra activities

I'm applying to medicine this year and was wondering what subject specific reading would help me. I'm really interested in reading about medicine/ medical related fields after doing my EPQ in the history of prosthetics but i don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas?
Original post by Cyion
I'm applying to medicine this year and was wondering what subject specific reading would help me. I'm really interested in reading about medicine/ medical related fields after doing my EPQ in the history of prosthetics but i don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you’re interested for the sake of reading it, read far and read wide as long as you have the time. This is the time of your life to do all the reading you will never have the chance to do as a medical student.

Artificial parts, practical lives is a great book and I have actually read it. I love how it makes you consider even the tiny components that make up the human body and the impact of losing them could be.

I’d encourage you to look at books on warfare and the birth of modern medicine. So much of what we have in the way of prosthetics has been driven by these developments. As a quick read, check out the poem Disabled by Wilfred Owen, you’ll see how far we’ve come. Or not, possibly!

In terms of fiction, if you want something a bit outlandish, try Lean Fall Stand by Jon McGregor. No prosthetics but plenty of aids for communication. All worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending