The Student Room Group

a level psychology paper 3

For the aggression 16 marker i put-
our genotype affects our phenotype of aggression-
i then outlined MAOA-L and XYY.
I then talked about coccaro, Brunner, and the biological reductionist aspect of the genetic explanation.
I then evaluated the MAOA-L gene with research into netherland and dutch families i then explained it was only active when there was an abusive childhood so we must take a diathesis stress approach?
I talked about MAOA-L lowering serotonin tho ://.
Will i lose many marks?
You missed a pretty key part of genetic factors.. The studies done to support them. Twin studies and Adoption studies (MZ and DZ concordance) This was a pretty major part of the AO1. I mentioned MAOA gene was responsible for producing MAOA enzyme which regulates the metabolism of serotonin in the brain, and that if the gene is defective (MAOA-L) it leads to low levels of serotonin then I explained why serotonin leads to aggression briefly so it all linked in. But the majority of my AO1 was definitely more to do with the specific genetic factors.
Original post by jadebaseford
You missed a pretty key part of genetic factors.. The studies done to support them. Twin studies and Adoption studies (MZ and DZ concordance) This was a pretty major part of the AO1. I mentioned MAOA gene was responsible for producing MAOA enzyme which regulates the metabolism of serotonin in the brain, and that if the gene is defective (MAOA-L) it leads to low levels of serotonin then I explained why serotonin leads to aggression briefly so it all linked in. But the majority of my AO1 was definitely more to do with the specific genetic factors.

Ohhh no i used Coccaro's vietnesemese study with 47% assualt rate in monozygotic compared to dizygotic and Danish adoptees who had non-criminal fathers 10.5% committed violent crimes and 21.4% for ciminal showing that aggression is genetic but then i explained it was reductionist and disregarded other factors such as SLT in media.
Is this what you meant?
Original post by owen gillie
Ohhh no i used Coccaro's vietnesemese study with 47% assualt rate in monozygotic compared to dizygotic and Danish adoptees who had non-criminal fathers 10.5% committed violent crimes and 21.4% for ciminal showing that aggression is genetic but then i explained it was reductionist and disregarded other factors such as SLT in media.
Is this what you meant?

And then for the MAOA-L i used two sudies to support it then introduced an interactionist approach and the diathesis stress model?
Original post by owen gillie
And then for the MAOA-L i used two sudies to support it then introduced an interactionist approach and the diathesis stress model?

And those studies are A03 surely as they support genetic influence they are research done not just the content of what we are evaluating?

Quick Reply