The Student Room Group

Exception courses

I did biomedical for 3 years and left university in my final year. Would I still be eligible for the exception course? And if I am eligible are these courses full time or part time? I’m interested in the Orthoptics course but I was wondering if I’d be able to study it full time or part time
Orthoptics at the University of Liverpool - full time - 3 years

Thanks Ayesha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ayeshaeliza
I did biomedical for 3 years and left university in my final year. Would I still be eligible for the exception course? And if I am eligible are these courses full time or part time? I’m interested in the Orthoptics course but I was wondering if I’d be able to study it full time or part time

Thanks Ayesha

Hi Ayesha,

This course looks to be classed as an exception course. You would need to submit an application for funding for the team to confirm this. I would advise to submit this as soon as possible for the team to review. Thanks, Karen
Hi
I wondering if teaching is counted as an exception course. I have precious study which I didn’t complete (4 years)
But was thinking of starting Primary Education (5-11): Inclusion with SEND with QTS BA (Hons) or Secondary Education in Biology with QTS BSC
Are these courses counted as an exception course,
Would I still get funding?

Thanks

Thanks Ayesha

Hi Ayesha, When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi Ayesha, When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen

September 2023
Hi
I wondering if teaching is counted as an exception course. I have precious study which I didn’t complete (4 years)
But was thinking of starting Primary Education (5-11): Inclusion with SEND with QTS BA (Hons) or Secondary Education in Biology with QTS BSC
Are these courses counted as an exception course,
Would I still get funding?

Thanks

When is the course due to start? Do you already hold QTS? Thanks, Karen
Hi Karen, No I don’t hold a QTS The course starts in September 2023 The primary course is at university of CumbriaAnd the secondary course at Birmingham I do have previous study but don’t hold a degree. Therefore was wanting to know if I’d get funding if it’s an exception course? Thanks
Hi Karen, No I don’t hold a QTS The course starts in September 2023 The primary course is at university of CumbriaAnd the secondary course at Birmingham I do have previous study but don’t hold a degree. Therefore was wanting to know if I’d get funding if it’s an exception course? Thanks

Hi there,

How many years of previous study do you have?

Thanks, Erin
I have 4 years previous study but no qualification. Would I still be eligible as it’s an exception course?
I have 4 years previous study but no qualification. Would I still be eligible as it’s an exception course?

Hi there,

We would take into account your previous study for the first course, as this would not be classed as an exception. When you go onto do the one year PGCE course you could be funded.

Thanks, Erin
Hi I wondering if teaching is counted as an exception course. I have precious study which I didn’t complete (4 years) But was thinking of starting Primary Education (5-11): Inclusion with SEND with QTS BA (Hons) or Secondary Education in Biology with QTS BSC Are these courses counted as an exception course, Would I still get funding?The primary education and secondary education aren’t classed as exception courses?
Hi I wondering if teaching is counted as an exception course. I have precious study which I didn’t complete (4 years) But was thinking of starting Primary Education (5-11): Inclusion with SEND with QTS BA (Hons) or Secondary Education in Biology with QTS BSC Are these courses counted as an exception course, Would I still get funding?The primary education and secondary education aren’t classed as exception courses?

What university are you looking to attend?

Thanks, Erin
For the primary teaching course it’s university of Cumbria and for the secondary it’s Birmingham
For the primary teaching course it’s university of Cumbria and for the secondary it’s Birmingham

Can you confirm how many years both these courses would be please?

Thanks, Erin
Original post by Erin SFE
Can you confirm how many years both these courses would be please?

Thanks, Erin

Both 3 years
Both 3 years

Hi there,

You would be funded for the maintenance loan and any applicable grants. For the tuition fees because of your previous study you would only be eligible for a year or two of your fees paid for if you have CPR: Compelling Personal Reasons as to why you previously suspended or withdrew from the course

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Jason
Hi I was told that it’s an exception course as it leads to me becoming a teacher therefore would I not be eligible for the tuition fees?
Hi I was told that it’s an exception course as it leads to me becoming a teacher therefore would I not be eligible for the tuition fees?

Hi there,

I'm afraid that is not the case. As the course exceeds 2 years, you are only eligible for a Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Kristina
What exception courses would I be eligible for in full time studies?
Is orthoptics an exception course?
Original post by SFE Kristina
Hi there,

I'm afraid that is not the case. As the course exceeds 2 years, you are only eligible for a Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Kristina

Hi
If you have a look at the attached image
It says that if it leads to a teaching qualification with qts and is more than 2 years it counts as an exception course
This course is 3 years and leads to a teaching qualification with qts

Quick Reply