Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying as an individual (English&History), thus I must find a referee... I've taken some university courses here in Sweden since I graduated from "high school" (or what ever you wish to call it) two years ago, but I can't say there were any university teachers who really got to know me, academically and personally. Now, I have two possible referee choices...

Number 1 is my English teacher from 8th & 9th year of primary education. She was very fond of me, and I got top grades in English. Problem: the grades from 8th & 9th year do not count in a university application (duh, obviously). It was 5 years ago!

Number 2 is my English teacher from "high school". Received top grades from her as well. Only problem is that she's a bit "absent-minded" and quite a mess when it comes to being organized and such. Plus I'm not sure how well she really knows me. We never formed a special "bond" or something.

Which one do you think is the better alternative?

ReputationRep:
    I would have guessed that your referee would have to be someone you've worked with recently? Surely a teacher from over two years ago would have an outdated view of you, and 5 years ago I'm sure it's very likely that you were alltogether a very different person.

I think you should go with one of your university teachers. You may not know them very well, but I'm sure they'll have your best intentions in mind and so will write a fair reference. If there's anything they don't know about you which you would want them to and possibly be on your reference, I'm sure you could have a chat about it?

ReputationRep:
    But I haven't been working since I graduated, I've been studying! :-) Ah, yes, I thought so too... I'm getting slightly agitated.

Well, the problem with the university teachers is that I studied one year in one city, then moved to another and started taking a distance course (there was no possibility to study it where I currently live, and I had no intention of moving there). Gosh, this makes me sound like such an indecisive loser. Anyway, my most recent teachers are people who've never even met me :-P Do you think I could still ask one of them to be my referee...? We do talk and have virtual (haha) "classes" every day, and I guess they've kind of figured out a bit of who I am.. Or is it a bad choice?? Ahhh...!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the first choice, cause I think that choosing the person who know you best and seem most friendly to your reference will definitely be better!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I just visited my old school's website, and the first teacher is apparently on maternity leave. I guess I'll just have to visit her at home. I can imagine her trying to concentrate on writing a reference, while the baby is screaming, crying and puking. (I do love babies though...!)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the university teachers. It is an academic reference, after all - and hardly any applicants will have a "special bond" with their referee, so that's not important.

ReputationRep:
    But if I should choose to ask a university teacher to be my referee, it would be one from the current English course I'm taking, and as I said, none of them have ever met me. They know me by speaking to me during "virtual" seminars and evaluating my academic work. Would one of them still be considered a good choice?

ReputationRep:
    Please, help me with this, I am very confused. My most recent teachers are from a distance university course through the internet. None of them will probably be able to evaluate my future academic prospects, since they've only known me for six months. The closest potential "up to date" referee I can think of would be my English teacher from upper secondary school. Should I contact her?

ReputationRep:
    Just pick someone, it doesn't really matter that much. An up-to-date, weaker reference or a stronger, older reference? As long as they can comment on your academic ability, there shouldn't be a problem. My reference is a Tutor from two years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thank God I'm not the only one then!! I would rather choose a teacher/tutor from two years ago... First thing in the morning - phone old English teacher ASAP!!! Thank you all for the advice. I guess I needed to know I'm not the only one with an "old" reference.. :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.