Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong, generally because of the risk the women doing it are leaving themselves open to and the appauling treatment by gang ring-leaders. If it were possible to practice it in a regulated, licenced environment where women were fully protected by the law and there was some form of legitimate security, then maybe that would be a difficult story, but in it's present state no, women should never be reduced to this.

ReputationRep:
    right. if they wanna get their pooms out, i don't have a problem with it

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's not something I'd ever considered and I feel sorry for women who do it. However if they do into prostitution without being forced then I dont see anything wrong with it. You have to put bread on the table some way.

ReputationRep:
    Everything has a price. Everything.
    Apart from love. and maybe baby seals..

ReputationRep:
    my opinion: Its sick,and degrading and a shameful thing. Why buy love? wait you cant do that! :rolleyes: i despise anyone involved in it, even if it turns out to be a good friend

ReputationRep:
    Well if I have any disagreements with it it's nothing to do with morals - sorry for mentioning the word!? *cringe* I know a few girls (students) who do it and they are not desperate, just it gives better money than any other job they could do for the same hours and more 'freedom' for uni, they don't have to be anywhere. Their words, not mine as I have never done it but I think that'd be my attitude as well. That's just 'casual' though, I know there are those who are in more serious positions and desperate and being controlled and all that but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    my opinion: Its sick,and degrading and a shameful thing. Why buy love? wait you cant do that! :rolleyes: i despise anyone involved in it, even if it turns out to be a good friend
    It's not love that's being bought.

-

And it's not wrong in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    It's not love that's being bought.

-

And it's not wrong in itself.
    Fine, but why go to a prostitute?? Or why do some people become them? And dont say for money, there are other ways to earn money, in a more respectful manner. And how is it NOT wrong in itself?

Personally I wouldn't find it right paying for sex...

However I just watched "Stephen Fry in America", he visited a brothel in Nevada...

The woman who ran the brothel was very in touch with the law within the state. It made sure that Prostitutes were self employed, and charged their own rates (as not to be abused by 'pimps'). Not only this, but condoms were mandatory as well as STI checks on the clients.

When interviewed, one of the prostitutes said she really enjoyed her job etc... If she was genuinly happy to be doing it and not just saying that to the camera, not just working as a prostitute as a last resort then that seemed ok to me.

So in the aspect of right or wrong, the program portrayed it as perfectly acceptable in those circumstances. If both parties are happy to be paying/recieving money for it as well as contributing taxes from their earnings then I don't see anything wrong with it. Problems arise from illegal prostitution, where prostitutes are treated appaulingly and are put at risk.

ReputationRep:
    i'm a gigolo and i just wanna say how narrow-minded some of your views are.
    sure, it's not the most socially acceptable occupation to uphold but it's tough in the real world.
    i like pleasin grannies anyway.. wutever.
    <_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbamuffin)
    Personally I wouldn't find it right paying for sex...

However I just watched "Stephen Fry in America", he visited a brothel in Nevada...

The woman who ran the brothel was very in touch with the law within the state. It made sure that Prostitutes were self employed, and charged their own rates (as not to be abused by 'pimps'). Not only this, but condoms were mandatory as well as STI checks on the clients.
    When interviewed, one of the prostitutes said she really enjoyed her job etc... If she was genuinly happy to be doing it and not just saying that to the camera, not just working as a prostitute as a last resort then that seemed ok to me.

So in the aspect of right or wrong, the program portrayed it as perfectly acceptable in those circumstances. If both parties are happy to be paying/recieving money for it as well as contributing taxes from their earnings then I don't see anything wrong with it. Problems arise from illegal prostitution, where prostitutes are treated appaulingly and are put at risk.
    how?

ReputationRep:
    Fine, but why go to a prostitute?? Or why do some people become them? And dont say for money, there are other ways to earn money, in a more respectful manner. And how is it NOT wrong in itself?
    Going to a prostitute is just easier for some people, who only want sex and none of the usual assorted hassle.

Some people become prostitutes because the money's better and easier to come by than by what you deem to be "a more respectful manner". Some just because they want to make money from a hobby or activity that they like. Obviously some go into it as a result of difficult economic circumstances, or coercion to repay a debt. So, I think I will say it's about the money.

And I don't have any moral objection to simply people selling sex. There are morally wrong ways to do it, e.g. if a minor or a victim of sex trafficking does it. But the moral issues there don't concern the sex itself.

ReputationRep:
    In Brazil it is legal......the government recently gave advice out to them on how what to expect. I quote "Prostitutes in Brazil should be prepared to perform fantasies and seduce with affectionate nicknames, according government advice" - so i guess they must have done som eresearch to get this information , eh?

Tut tut. Here is the link.

ReputationRep:
    TSR really isnt the best place to get a diverse opinion on the matter. A substantial amount of members feel casual sex in itself is fine - and some have given encouragement to the idea of prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    That's funny; I despise bigots who project their naïve, arbitrary 'values' and sentimental conceits onto an industry which at its core represents the mutually-beneficial convergence of people who care about money more than sex, with people who care about sex more than money.

ReputationRep:
    Money :p:

A prostitue can make £hundreds an hour vs. £5.70 an hour min. wage.

ReputationRep:
    Fine, but why go to a prostitute?
    Sex.

(Original post by layla_1234)
    how?
    Under a lamp with some rubber gloves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbamuffin)
    Under a lamp with some rubber gloves.
    sure ways to see aids or clamaydia.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.