Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be controlled and made legal and safer for the girls.
    There is really not much point in the arguments against, it is possibly the oldest proffesion known and will ALWAYS go on.

ReputationRep:
    Of course its wrong. I'm not going to say everyone has a right to do what they want with their bodies, because, although they do, prostitution carries a strong element of danger. Not to mention, it's extremely degrading and its terribly sad that some women (and some men) feel they have to put themselves in that position.

ReputationRep:
    Right. Nothing immoral about it.

I wouldn't personally get involved, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Wrong - but if the person wishes to go down that road, then that is their business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Of course its wrong. I'm not going to say everyone has a right to do what they want with their bodies, because, although they do, prostitution carries a strong element of danger. Not to mention, it's extremely degrading and its terribly sad that some women (and some men) feel they have to put themselves in that position.
    Don't think about the actual process of prostitution though. Think about the notion itself.

At the moment, in Britain, prostitution is dangerous, degrading etc. But this does not define prostitution. Prostitution CAN be legal, regulated, safe, and viewed as a valid career like any other.

Just think about the notion of prostitution itself: The act of hiring yourself out for the sexual pleasure of a consumer at your own price. Right or wrong?

Saying it's wrong because of the element of danger/degradation/smut isn't valid because that's not what prostitution is, that's just what it can be if it's held in a certain regard - but that regard is only held by countries like our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    Don't think about the actual process of prostitution though. Think about the notion itself.

At the moment, in Britain, prostitution is dangerous, degrading etc. But this does not define prostitution. Prostitution CAN be legal, regulated, safe, and viewed as a valid career like any other.

Just think about the notion of prostitution itself: The act of hiring yourself out for the sexual pleasure of a consumer at your own price. Right or wrong?

Saying it's wrong because of the element of danger/degradation/smut isn't valid because that's not what prostitution is, that's just what it can be if it's held in a certain regard - but that regard is only held by countries like our own.
    If I am just considering the notion itself, I'll still say its wrong. Stripping and spreading your legs to strangers for money is in my opinion, disgusting. I don't think any self-respecting woman would do such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    wrong. Women are exploiting men's far greater sex drive, and hence men aren't thinking clearly when offered sex for money by a prostitute.

ReputationRep:
    Right, as long as people are clean and protected. I'd prefer government regulation for this sort of thing, but I can't imagine it happening for decades.

Quite an amusing topic as it always brings out the very staunch liberals and craggy conservatives :p:

ReputationRep:
    like medical marijuana, i think they should have medical prostitution

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything immoral with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    If I am just considering the notion itself, I'll still say its wrong. Stripping and spreading your legs to strangers for money is in my opinion, disgusting. I don't think any self-respecting woman would do such a thing.
    I think smoking is disgusting and I don't know why any self-respecting person would do it. Does that make it wrong? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadflappin)
    like medical marijuana, i think they should have medical prostitution
    For the medicinal benefits of the prostitute, or the consumer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    I think smoking is disgusting and I don't know why any self-respecting person would do it. Does that make it wrong? No.
    Well technically, speaking as a smoker, it is wrong. I mean, its not RIGHT exactly, is it.

ReputationRep:
    Some women may not see any other option, they use thier abilities and assest to earn money to put food on the table often to support families. Shoudl they be ashamed for that? I think not, I consider them brave and often unfortunate yes, but the only ones that should be ashamed are pimps and the patrons.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly acceptable.

1) Creates an opportunity for poor or working class women to assert themselves in the marketplace

2) Reduces the amount of rape

3) Reduces sexual elements creeping in to everyday life - Freudianism if you will. People concentrate on other things.

4) Reduces the number of affairs

5) Would significantly improve town centres, given that restaurants and shops close absurdly early.

6) Good for workplace morale. In Japan it is commonplace for workers to get together and bang some hookers.

ReputationRep:
    BTW: some of you talked about Holland/Amsterdam. Do you know that they're shutting down a pretty big part of the red light district in Amsterdam at the moment?? Their plan is to make it into a shopping area with trendy boutiques and places to eat or drink something.

Personally I'd prefer if prostitution did not exist entirely. But there is a demand for sex, and I think that there will always be prostitutes (after all, its the oldest profession in the world). So the question is, how to put them in the best circumstances possible?

The best way in my opinion is to legalize prostitution, so it can be controlled for the health and safety of the girls.

Please do be aware of the fact that legalisation of prostitution won't put a complete end to the poor circumstances of some of the girls. There still is a lot of criminality in the Dutch prostitution. Girls are still being forced into prostitution (for example the phenomenon we call 'loverboys' here in Holland). There are still girls being brought to Holland who are being told they're getting an education or that they can be a dancer here and make some money for their family. The criminals responsible for this, can sometimes operate for years. It is often hard to catch them because the girls won't talk and often the clients don't know the girls are doing something against their will so they don't report it.

ReputationRep:
    Licensed prostitution is the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    Ridiculous. Honestly. Reduces rape? How about... Just have self control and keep it in your pants instead of raping a woman?

And yeah you're right, prostitution is a great form of career progression for women :rolleyes: Honestly.
    Depends if the women are dressed modestly or not.

Compared with a labour job like mcdonalds, going in to the sex trade is considerably more lucrative. Unemployment will increase significantly soon and without degrees a lot of people will resort to this option.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't think that the acces to legal prostitutes will reduce rapes.

Rape is not purely about sex, it's about power, domination, being in control.

It may even increase rape because the common ground in prostitution and rape is, that women are turned in an object. This is not favourable to women and it sends out the message that if men have a (sexual) need, they can immediately satisfy it and a womans sexuality is not worth much.

(Hope you understand what I am trying to say, my english is not that good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    Ridiculous. Honestly. Reduces rape? How about... Just have self control and keep it in your pants instead of raping a woman?

And yeah you're right, prostitution is a great form of career progression for women :rolleyes: Honestly.
    I'm fairly sure there's a higher rate of suicide among dentists than there is among prostitutes...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.