Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    I'm fairly sure there's a higher rate of suicide among dentists than there is among prostitutes...
    haha. i for one would certainly rather take it up the arse every day than become a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Aside from the token incendiary, dogmatic, populist, hysterical rant, do you have any coherent opinion on this matter? Because if not, I'll 'direct you by all means to my middle-finger'.
    Charming :rolleyes:

A few points.

Yes, there are those who are indeed naive as to why some women are in the industry - because not all of them willingly choose to find themselves in that situation. For example, sex trafficking. However there are those who believe selling your body is easier than looking for other ways to earn money. For example, we have a girl here whose interested in the idea because shes attracted to the large sums of money she could get from it. This is the mentality people often associate with prostitution and it is this which causes the moral outrage and flood of criticism. Although you could argue the naive whom will generalise every women as the same, regardless of their reasons, are actually bigots you cannot do the same for those who find the concept in itself disgusting.

Debates about whether its wrong or right are often polarised into comments referring to the practically of prostitution, looking solely at the benefits without weighing it with the negatives and comments specifically focusing on how much a "slut" she is without contemplating "is this really what she wants? why is she doing this?". We rarely have a real debate.

Personally I am against even casual sex so you can imagine how I feel about prostitution. And although I can dish out my fair bit of critique, I am not blinded to the fact that some women actually do not want to do but feel a need to. I have an immense amount of sympathy with the latter but have no time nor empathy for those who chase it solely for the money

ReputationRep:
    its funny how people think prostitution is just women selling themselves.

and to be honest it should be made legal, whether thats right or not. after all these people need to support themselves and usually their families. if theyre fine by selling themselves, then who are we to tell them that they cant?

i think we should take Nevadas example and make the law very strict, but allow it to be legal in brothels, with careful regulations which would prevent gangs from exploiting these people. this way we keep prostitution 'above ground'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    but money is best reason for it, and people earn shed loads doing it.

and what? because many people feel its ok that means it shouldnt be discussed? wheres the debate there if everyone starts going no its wrong

and austrailia if i recall correctly
    If the person is interested in some kind of opinion poll, they should be made aware that a larger than expected amount of people may think it is okay. TSR is extremely sexually liberal, perhaps more so than the general public, so someone shouldn't take any kind of poll result here into a conversation with someone.

(Original post by Meus)

A few points.

Yes, there are those who are indeed naive as to why some women are in the industry - because not all of them willingly choose to find themselves in that situation. For example, sex trafficking. However there are those who believe selling your body is easier than looking for other ways to earn money. For example, we have a girl here whose interested in the idea because shes attracted to the large sums of money she could get from it. This is the mentality people often associate with prostitution and it is this which causes the moral outrage and flood of criticism. Although you could argue the naive whom will generalise every women as the same, regardless of their reasons, are actually bigots you cannot do the same for those who find the concept in itself disgusting.

Debates about whether its wrong or right are often polarised into comments referring to the practically of prostitution, looking solely at the benefits without weighing it with the negatives and comments specifically focusing on how much a "slut" she is without contemplating "is this really what she wants? why is she doing this?". We rarely have a real debate.

Personally I am against even casual sex so you can imagine how I feel about prostitution. And although I can dish out my fair bit of critique, I am not blinded to the fact that some women actually do not want to do but feel a need to. I have an immense amount of sympathy with the latter but have no time nor empathy for those who chase it solely for the money
    Um... if I might ask, why is the idea of selling one's body to get lots of money such a great moral outrage? I genuinely don't understand this line of criticism; we're materialist all the time, why does it suddenly become a great evil when you involve sex (assuming it's not on an instalment plan, aka 'marriage')?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muncey)
    Amsterdam!

I agree it would be safer for them if there was a proper legal system set up for it, but that would cost money and time.. i think we have bigger problems at the moment.

I know this doesn't relate to all of them but most of them will know the dangers yet they do not care about their health, i don't see why we should.
    Not all prostitutes do it out of choice.

Every heard of trafficking? Gangs bringing women to a country against their will, keeping them locked/tied up and letting people pay to have sex with them.

Regulation would help these people, and would ensure greater personal freedom in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    I'm fairly sure there's a higher rate of suicide among dentists than there is among prostitutes...
    So?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    So?
    A Dentistry student who thinks the prostitution is degrading, disgusting and doesn't know why any self-respecting person would do it.

I just thought it was ironic .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    A Dentistry student who thinks the prostitution is degrading, disgusting and doesn't know why any self-respecting person would do it.

I just thought it was ironic .
    I never actually stated an opinion on prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the different cultures.
    but generally that's right, in Germany prostitution is legal. Even if it's banned in some countries, the prostitution also exists~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I never actually stated an opinion on prostitution.
    You mocked the notion of it being a career progression...

Still ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    its funny how people think prostitution is just women selling themselves.
    Er... well what else is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Perfectly acceptable.

1) Creates an opportunity for poor or working class women to assert themselves in the marketplace

2) Reduces the amount of rape

3) Reduces sexual elements creeping in to everyday life - Freudianism if you will. People concentrate on other things.

4) Reduces the number of affairs

5) Would significantly improve town centres, given that restaurants and shops close absurdly early.

6) Good for workplace morale. In Japan it is commonplace for workers to get together and bang some hookers.
    That is probably the most retarded thing I have ever read.

(Original post by Meus)

A few points.

So the crux of your argument is that what could be a legal, regulated, licensed, structured occupation should not be transferred into safe hands, but should remain firmly in the grip of criminals... all for the sake of moral absolutism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Er... well what else is it?
    men, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    It's the oldest trade in the world. If a person wants to do it (not just females, rentboys too, giglo) that's fine. As long as they are not forced or put into any danger. Live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    So the crux of your argument is that what could be a legal, regulated, licensed, structured occupation should not be transferred into safe hands, but should remain firmly in the grip of criminals... all for the sake of moral absolutism?

Whether its illegal or legal, it won't kill the practice. It's the world's oldest "occupation". It's a rather embarrassing facet of human nature. But my gripe isn't the hazards sex trafficking can bring, or how prostitution is managed in places where it is illegal - that is an entirely different debate; my issue with it is the sheer concept.

As I have said, there are two faces to prostitution. One which in my opinion is disgraceful, and another one which is depressingly sad. You could argue that, because of the latter, prostitution should be made legal to protect those women. But then again, we should never accept or tolerate a world where a woman needs to open her legs to a stranger simply to earn some kind of income to live on.

(Original post by Meus)

Whether its illegal or legal, it won't kill the practice. It's the world's oldest "occupation". It's a rather embarrassing facet of human nature. But my gripe isn't the hazards sex trafficking can bring, or how prostitution is managed in places where it is illegal - that is an entirely different debate; my issue with it is the sheer concept.

As I have said, there are two faces to prostitution. One which in my opinion is disgraceful, and another one which is depressingly sad. You could argue that, because of the latter, prostitution should be made legal to protect those women. But then again, we should never accept or tolerate a world where a woman needs to open her legs to a stranger simply to earn some kind of income to live on.
    So you find it disgraceful/immoral etc, that's fine. But do you really think it should be the goverment's position to moralise for us? (And in doing so force people involved into a seedy underworld, 'regulated' only by criminals, who let's be honest are likely to be rather less fastidious in the way they operate.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people should have the right to do whatever they want to their own bodies.

The government does not own you.

ReputationRep:
    It wrong, but it feels oh so right. :hubba:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.